Update not automatically shown ... V6.11.12 now out!

Ask any questions about using PicoScope 6 Automotive software here.
FioranoCars
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Update not automatically shown ... V6.11.12 now out!

Post by FioranoCars »

Hi
Just noticed by chance that a newer version was put online on the 10th March 6.11.12.xxx but that the auto check on start up and the manual check now don't offer it?!

While some people can opt not for beta, this is a bug fix, and we'd rather be told it was there so we can check if issues we're having are fixed, or indeed avoid something we might trip over, that has been corrected already!

https://www.picoauto.com/downloads to grab the latest version

Even a flag in the settings for Major release/Minor Version / Bug fixes / Beta updates notification ... if you feel that some people might not want the bug fixes, but you hardly release 5 versions a month, so I'd like them all please!

Thanks, and keep the new stuff coming!

Richard

Alan
Pico Staff Member
Pico Staff Member

Re: Update not automatically shown ... V6.11.12 now out!

Post by Alan »

Hi Richard,

This is done by design. For a few days a new release is on the web available for download but does not get shown in the auto check for updates. This is part of ensuring a gradual roll out of new software. We do lots of testing but there are so many variables (different versions of windows, different PC processors & chipsets, different languages, different pico products etc) that its impossible to test every possible setup. A gradual roll out allows us to respond and spot any issues and also avoids our download server melting.

I will have a chat about this with the software guys - perhaps we should add a new option "I am really keen to get new software updates ASAP even if its 3am in the morning" :-)

Regards
Alan

FioranoCars
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by FioranoCars »

Indeed, and can fully understand the benefit of phased roll out, maybe use the Beta ("Also Notify me about Pre-Release (Beta) Versions") as an indication of users preference to try early rollouts?

However, a small bug, on WinXP, Win7 and Win7x64 (so I guess all platforms?) the Preferences>Upgrades> "beta" flag status is lost between upgrades, well when upgrading to the V6.11.12 it was, and I'm sure I've seen the issue before. So it is reset to "cleared". This should remain set to the historic status ...

Thanks
Richard

FioranoCars
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by FioranoCars »

Actually, it might have been a previous version that cleared the beta flag ...
The final PC to update was first uninstalled (not a deep clean, just uninstalled) then the new installer run.
The flag remained set during this (Win7x86).

Not sure how/when the beta flag on the 3 other systems was reset/cleared ...
Mystery! :? :?
Richard