Maths Channels Displaying in Real Time

Ask any questions about using PicoScope 6 Automotive software here.
FioranoCars
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Maths Channels Displaying in Real Time

Post by FioranoCars »

Hi All
Not sure if its all the wine over Christmas and NY, but just building a template where all the channels to be displayed are Maths, so none of the 4 source channels are used in their "native" state ... which means you have a "blank" screen until the end of each screen capture, which for my single trigger is a 40 sec did it, didn't it suspense each time!

Is there a setting I'm missing that I can enable, or something, as especially pre-trigger I'd like to see that I have something happening, and even sense check that all is OK before cranking to get the trigger?

If not, this would be a really useful feature, even if it was something that only worked on lower capture rates, or had other criteria/implications/trade-offs

Many thanks
Richard

Steve Smith
Pico Staff Member
Pico Staff Member

Re: Maths Channels Displaying in Real Time

Post by Steve Smith »

Hello Richard and thank you for the post.

I can see what you want to achieve and can feel the suspense of "no display" until the full screen time has elapsed.

Using a single event trigger, I can only see the best way to view "activity" during capture would be to leave one of your source channels active (on)

If you are concerned about a source channel consuming screen space then amending the scaling factor might help?

I do like the idea of a Window in Window displaying activity behind the scenes during the "capture" event

Alternatively you could use the additional scope view feature under the Views tab. Views > Add View > Scope

Here you could leave one of your source channels active whilst your 4 maths channels appear in your original view?

When using a repeat trigger (or even no trigger) to view previous waveforms select “Display Last Waveform” via the Preferences menu. This will enable previous waveforms to remain on screen whilst PicoScope draws the new waveform alongside.

Here previous waveforms are displayed continually on screen whilst PicoScope overlays the new "live" waveform, rather than waiting for the "live" waveform to be drawn before the scope momentarily displays the maths channel .

You will now have continual view of the previous maths channel without having to stop the capture and scroll through the waveform buffer.

Select Tools > Preferences > Sampling > and check the box marked “Display previous Waveform Buffer”.
DISPLAY LAST WAVEFORM BUFFER.jpg
I hope this helps and I will add this to our "New Feature Request list"

Take care.....Steve

FioranoCars
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Re: Maths Channels Displaying in Real Time

Post by FioranoCars »

Thanks Steve
As ever a wonderfully detailed answer and several options to help me avoid the current blank screen, I'm sure we can the extra view method, which had not occurred to me at all, until the feature request is "developed" :-)

I was just about to post further, but will start a new thread as while it's related to my issue, it covers a different topic, that others might not look for under this heading!

thanks
Richard