simple output tests

Ask any questions relating to the PicoScope hardware or kit contents here.
If you have any questions prior to purchasing the kit post them here.
scooper

simple output tests

Post by scooper »

Hi
We have a Picoscope 4223 and run a business selling electronic ignition systems for classic cars. On some distributors eg Lucas 35D with the module on the side how is it best to test the spark output from the module and hall effect sensor? Also how is it best to check the high tension spark from a cylindrical coil? I appreciate this is probably a basic function for the scope but we could do with some simple tests with waveforms voltage readings etc for test purposes.

Any help would be appreciated

Regards Scooper

Steve Smith
Pico Staff Member
Pico Staff Member

Re: simple output tests

Post by Steve Smith »

Hello Scooper and welcome to the forum.

Can I assume you are testing the distributors on a vehicle or do you have a “test bed” set-up?

I think a good place to start here would be the Automotive Guided Tests included in the PicoScope software.

Could you take a look at the image below on how to access the automotive menu?
AUTOMOTIVE HELP FILES.jpg
Here you will find the connection details and how to connect your scope along with an example waveform and a technical description of the component under test.

You may have to amend your connection set up depending on vehicle or test bed, and of course the style of distributor.

You can repeat this process for the primary and secondary ignition signals where you can evaluate the switching of the amplifier and the quality of the secondary ignition event.

Please let us know how you get on

Take care…….Steve

scooper

Post by scooper »

Thanks Steve!

Much appreciated

scooper

Post by scooper »

Hi again Steve

Is there a provision to test a 12v coil?

Regards Simon

Steve Smith
Pico Staff Member
Pico Staff Member

Post by Steve Smith »

Hello Scooper.

The 12 V ignition coil can be tested both for primary and secondary functions using the help files as mentioned above.

From the AUTOMOTIVE tab select IGNITION-DISTRIBUTOR and the relevant test you require.

You may choose to examine primary ignition voltage and current then perhaps look at SECONDARY COIL OUTPUT TEST

I hope this helps, take care......Steve