show how to connect

Ask any questions about using PicoScope 6 Automotive software here.
glenn
OneWave
OneWave

show how to connect

Post by glenn »

Hi All
Now I don't scope much a all but enjoy when I do, now the thing is when I used to go on automotive there was always the how to use for idiots pictures of how to connect and where to probe etc, question is there anyway for people like me around this , I know I'm probably the only person

Cheers for any help

Glenn :oops: :|

Robski
Advanced User
Advanced User

Re: show how to connect

Post by Robski »

glenn
OneWave
OneWave

Post by glenn »

Cheers Robski
added to favourites

Glenn :D

PicoMike
Pico Staff Member
Pico Staff Member

Post by PicoMike »

Hi Glenn,

These are also included within our software. If you access the Automotive menu from within PicoScope 6 Automotive, there is a library of over 150+ Guided Tests, complete with PicoScope presets.

In our latest software (free to download) these have been given an overhaul and a fresh new look.

Please let me know if I can be of anymore help,
Mike Valentine
Online BDM: Pico Technology

roadserpent
OneWave
OneWave

Post by roadserpent »

I find that the two replies to Glenn's post are incorrect and were not researched before giving advise. In the latest download update of PicoScope 6 software there are places under Automotive that do not give hook-up or connection advise. The first thing that I opened gave me a waveform sample on my scope and then it found my internet connection and hooked up to a website that gave information about the sensor and how to connect test leads. Now when I go back to the same couple of places it just gives a sample waveform. It does not take me to a website for further help nor does it show any test lead connections. I have not been to all Automotive places yet to check for more. Try going Automotive - sensors - Distributor - hall effect or inductive - running or cranking.

PicoMike
Pico Staff Member
Pico Staff Member

Post by PicoMike »

roadserpent wrote:I find that the two replies to Glenn's post are incorrect and were not researched before giving advise. In the latest download update of PicoScope 6 software there are places under Automotive that do not give hook-up or connection advise. The first thing that I opened gave me a waveform sample on my scope and then it found my internet connection and hooked up to a website that gave information about the sensor and how to connect test leads. Now when I go back to the same couple of places it just gives a sample waveform. It does not take me to a website for further help nor does it show any test lead connections. I have not been to all Automotive places yet to check for more. Try going Automotive - sensors - Distributor - hall effect or inductive - running or cranking.
Hi roadserpent,

Thanks for your reply. Hopefully I can help clarify this further.

Not every menu item has a Guided Test that is correct. In a few cases there is currently only a preset waveform. However this is only true for a handful of items.

All three of the "Automotive > Sensors > Distributor" tests open both a preset waveform and a Guided Test for me. Note also that what you have referred to as a webpage / internet connection is not entirely true. The Guided Tests will open in your default browser, however they are local files and do not require an internet connection to be displayed.

Each time you click a menu item, a Guided Test (should one exist for that item) will open, irrelevant as to whether the very same Guided Test is already open in a browser.

If you are experiencing different behviour to this then I would be very interested in hearing further details about your experience.

As I am the one who puts these Guided Tests together and builds them into the software, I should be able to answer any questions you may have (and also action any bugs that may be found). Please feel free to ask.
Mike Valentine

roadserpent
OneWave
OneWave

Post by roadserpent »

Ok here is the deal to Glenn and all others out there in Pico automotive scope land. I spent numerouse hours trying to get my 4423 or 4425 scopes to show test info and or connection help, and nothing ! After becoming very frustrated I called Pico in Texas USA. Asking for AuthorMike, but not willing to call the UK, I have a talk with the Pico rep there in Texas. It seems to me the problem stems from the word "WEB". When I hear or talk about the WEB, I understand it to mean World Wide Web and that would be the INTERNET ! But in this case it means WEB BROWSER . At the bottom of the Automotive drop down box is ( Show Web Help ), you can put a check in it or uncheck it. To avoid confusion this should say WEB BROWSER HELP so that people will not relate this to the INTERNET. If it is not checked you will NOT get any test or connection help at all. I admit to unchecking the box after the download because I dont like my computer hooking up to a website unless i tell it to. So after that I seen no more test or connection help.

roadserpent
OneWave
OneWave

Post by roadserpent »

After thinking this over for a couple minutes maybe rename it ( Show Test and Connection Info )

PicoMike
Pico Staff Member
Pico Staff Member

Post by PicoMike »

Hi roadserpent

I am indeed based in the UK office.
roadserpent wrote:After thinking this over for a couple minutes maybe rename it ( Show Test and Connection Info )
Now that is a good idea. I will speak to development about renaming that option.

It didn't occur to me that could be the problem, my apologies.

Regards
Mike Valentine

roadserpent
OneWave
OneWave

Post by roadserpent »

I thank you Mike for your quick responses and all your help not only on this forum but for your efforts in developing such a fine product.