non pico pressure transducers

Ask any questions about using PicoScope 6 Automotive software here.
leemack
OneWave
OneWave

non pico pressure transducers

Post by leemack »

I'm very new to using pressure transducers and only have a snapon 500psi version but I have bought a 12v to 5 v convertor so it can be used with my picoscope (to a point) but is there any way I can setup the transducer to read psi rather than the voltage over time scales if I know the voltage/psi output.

I realise it maynot be to accurate but as a comparison access all cylinders it maybe acceptable. Is the actual presure reading that important or more the waveform detail for diagnostic use. A compression gauge can give us an actual figure.

thanks
lee

Robski
Advanced User
Advanced User

Re: non pico pressure transducers

Post by Robski »

create a custom probe.

leemack
OneWave
OneWave

Post by leemack »

Rob,

I did see a youtube clio for custom probes, but not sure how to enter the conversion factor. 0.5v = 0 psi & 4.5v = 500psi. I'm still trying to find the actual range as the one I had I doubt is correct because it states.2 v = 25psi but the sensor works as 0.5v - 4.5 v.

thanks
lee

Robski
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by Robski »

when you find the actual range I'll help you (on the other side :wink: ) does it only measure positive pressure or negative as well ?

I'm pretty sure Tom Roberts has a custom probe for one but it is up to him whether to share or not.

leemack
OneWave
OneWave

Post by leemack »

Rob,

yes it will read both pressure and vacuum so I suppose it makes life more diffixult. I have actually used it with the picoscope so it does work but obviously accuracy isn't brilliant but its a start I hope.

thanks
lee

Robski
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by Robski »

are the voltage figures you give above the actual working range of the transducer then ?

leemack
OneWave
OneWave

Post by leemack »

According to what I can find for very similar types it is. I suppose I could connect it upto my snapon vantagePro and measure the voltage output at different pressures using my vac/pressure pump and breakout leads.

I guess you set a custom probe of -1v to + 4.5v but can I still set 0.5v as zero psi.

LucaB
OneWave
OneWave

Post by LucaB »

leemack wrote:Rob,

I did see a youtube clio for custom probes, but not sure how to enter the conversion factor. 0.5v = 0 psi & 4.5v = 500psi. I'm still trying to find the actual range as the one I had I doubt is correct because it states.2 v = 25psi but the sensor works as 0.5v - 4.5 v.

thanks
lee
Hi
Test this probe.
If value is linear sensor this should be fine.
Regards
Attachments
Transducer Snapon 500PSI.psprobe
(2.99 KiB) Downloaded 785 times

Robski
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by Robski »

LucaB wrote:
leemack wrote:Rob,

thanks
lee
Hi
Test this probe.
If value is linear sensor this should be fine.
Regards
yes it will read both pressure and vacuum
How would that go on with in cylinder pressure ?

leemack
OneWave
OneWave

Post by leemack »

I don't know much about in cylinder pressure checks but doesn't the wps500 also measure negative pressure during a running compression test.