Using Multiple notes, and creating overlays

Ask any questions about using PicoScope 6 Automotive software here.
hexibot43
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Using Multiple notes, and creating overlays

Post by hexibot43 »

Been really getting into using my scope now, and tried to search the forums and the help doc for info on creating multiple notes, and creating overlays.
  • 1st - Is there a way to include multiple notes with a waveform? I would like to be able to make annotations to specific places within a given waveform. I would rather not have to change to an image and do it in post production. That way If I need to recapture the waveform, I need not start from the beginning. All my notes would still be there. I might just have to move them around a bit. And since I'm asking could they be made in a balloon/square that is attached to a specific point in the waveform? My old scope software could do this, and I found it very helpful.

2nd - I found a nice ruler with the degrees marked out for a full 720 degrees of crankshaft rotation already in the software which is very nice. Is there a way to augment this with an overlay. Or a separate overlay? Instead of marking out the timing in post production it would be great to be able to immediately overlay a map to the timing. I would think the timing sync signal would give the 720 degrees, and from there a simple offset adjustment to properly overlay.
Thanks, MAB

Steve Smith
Pico Staff Member
Pico Staff Member

Re: Using Multiple notes, and creating overlays

Post by Steve Smith »

Hello and thank you for the post and suggestions

The annotations feature has been mentioned and now in the ideas funnel/future feature request.
This feature is ideal when reviewing waveforms allowing you to point out areas of interest or for education purposes when sharing with others.

Rest assured this will be reviewed.

At present there is no overlay tool within Pico but there are third part overlay tools available from various websites. These overlay tools will also allow a degree of limited annotations to be included which does help with the suggestion above.

Here is a link from recently viewed https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7LFwm_4 ... e=youtu.be

I am not sure if you know about the rotation partitions given the discovery of the phase markers you mention (0-720 degree) Forgive me if you already use the partitions, but if not the image below will be of value to all when looking at the four stroke cycle.
BETA PHASE MARKERS.jpg
I hope this helps, take care.....Steve

hexibot43
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by hexibot43 »

Thanks Steve,

I was just coming back here to point out the rotational partitions. You beat me to it. Very Nice. I wish I had caught it earlier. I've got a problem car that is showing a really nice confirmation of why a code is being set. A 1997 VW Eurovan which came from another shop where they couldn't decide what to throw at it next. They were thinking computer, cylinder head, or complete engine? Nailed it with the Picoscope, and Firstlook. While investigating I just happened to hit the ruler button to find the partitioning feature. Made it very easy to breakdown the pattern into individual cylinders. I'll be using that a lot.

Could this feature be made to use the trigger from a sync cylinder as a start and finish of 720 degrees and paint it on the fly with the waveform?

I will look into the third party overlays.

Mab

And I just figured out how to add a picture finally. The website was complaining with errors, but the image did make it to through. So don't pay attention to the errors. Those partitions are really nice.
Attachments
Volkswagen_EuroVan_1997_Petrol_20140911-withRoationalPartitions.jpg

Steve Smith
Pico Staff Member
Pico Staff Member

Post by Steve Smith »

Hello and thanks for the suggestion,
Could this feature be made to use the trigger from a sync cylinder as a start and finish of 720 degrees and paint it on the fly with the waveform?
I do like the idea of instantly identifying the zero and 720 degree point after an ignition trigger when the screen is consumed with multiple waveforms and rulers.

Whilst it does not indicate the position of the crankshaft (using ignition as a sync) it does estimate where we are at a given point in the four stroke cycle across our capture.

Thank you once again and in the ideas funnel it goes.

Take care......Steve