Latest RC

Ask any questions about using PicoScope 6 Automotive software here.
Robski
Advanced User
Advanced User

Re: Latest RC

Post by Robski »

Autonerdz wrote:
In the case of going back to a version i was happy with i would if the RC did not install over it, i would have to install said version again & would this install over the RC version ?
Robski,

The beta install does not affect a release install. They both can live on the same PC and they are separate. Separate probe library, separate everything. So...you can go back to a release you are comfortable with and then install the 6.8.6.9 beta instead of the 6.8.6.9 RC. Then you will have the best of both worlds with reduced frustration and still be able to explore and use the new one as you see fit.

A beta overwrites a beta and a release or release candidate overwrites a release or RC version.

If there is a certain build you want you can't find, email me and I can hook you up. I have them all. :shock:
Cheers Tom, I will have a look on my memory sticks & external HDD as i always keep the install files.

How long will it be for the next stable release, that's the question, back to time rulers for running comp etc. :|

Autonerdz
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by Autonerdz »

How long will it be for the next stable release, that's the question, back to time rulers for running comp etc.
I don't know. I expect when they squish the larger bugs that have crawled out of the beta and RC versions.

As for the time rulers for compression waveform analysis, that's what you need to use anyway to be accurate. The phase rulers don't take into account changes in engine speed. They are pretty cool though. We used them in our latest video by Andrew:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=De5bsAju ... 4s91nqWRxg

Makes it so easy to see where the CMP belongs.

You know, you can still use the beta for waveform analysis even if you don't want to capture with it.

Robski
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by Robski »

The phase rulers don't take into account changes in engine speed
So even though they are in the center of the tower they're not accurate, i'd have thought however far apart there would be logic in the software to work the time between the 2 ?

I did test them out on a capture i had & at 180° from the 0° marker it was correct with normal rulers ??

Autonerdz
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by Autonerdz »

So even though they are in the center of the tower they're not accurate
That's not what I mean. The rulers are accurate for what they do. What I mean is that when you frame 720°those degrees are not evenly spaced. Engine speed changes over that cycle, especially since you have killed a cylinder for the test.....

You have heard of MCCT right? (Mick's Crank Clock Technique)

Robski
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by Robski »

ahh I've got ya (I think) !
You have heard of MCCT right? (Mick's Crank Clock Technique)
I have heard yes, but not being a group member I've never attempted looking into it.

Fat Freddy
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by Fat Freddy »

As for Tiepie....I think that would take you into a world that would make issues here seem like nothing
Software?

As I have mentioned before it's a game of cat and mouse. And the Tiepie hardware appears to have taken another leap, now using a synchronization bus to enable combining scopes (not that is at the top of my shopping list) as one example, also sample rates and buffer size have increased significantly.

Robski
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by Robski »

I see there have been replies on other posts from Pico admin but not on this thread :?:

Any replies to questions asked in this thread :?:

Alan
Pico Staff Member
Pico Staff Member

Post by Alan »

Hi Robski,

There seems to be a few different issues here so let me know if I have missed one of your concerns

1. Beta releases & RC. If you want to use fully tested stable software then I suggest you use only the stable releases. Beta and Release Candidates allow us to get feedback on new features before they go into stable releases. These releases have less testing so are not for everyone.

I will find out when we will have a stable release with both phase markers and channel notes on Monday and let you know.

2. Saving selected buffers issue. That does seem to be a new issue / problem. Is the full file with all the waveforms under 10M in size? If so please send it to support@picotech.com with a link in the email to this forum thread and we will try to recreate the problem. BTW does it only happen when saving to a USB memory stick?

3. New feature requests. We can already link decoded CAN data (hex) to plain text if you know the manufacturer specific codes (eg via a CSV file - see the link command in the decoded CAN bus data waveform). We do not distribute manufacturer specific CAN data with PicoScope as this is copyright. If its a different function you are after let me know. We can already graph frequency but graphing duty cycle is still on the "to do" list. We implement new features depending on how often they are required and there are quite a few features ahead of duty cycle graphing on the list so its difficult to give any estimation of a date for this.

Let me know if I have missed anything
Regards
Alan

Robski
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by Robski »

1. Then why not just release stable & Beta's instead of throwing an RC in the mix ? Myself & a few others thought RC's & Beta's were different.
As i have said i just want one version & a good one at that & if you find out when another is released then let me/us know & i have no intentions of using a Beta as i expect there will be bugs etc.

2. I don't know the file size nor did i try saving elsewhere as i wanted it on memory stick for evidence of a warranty claim, it is on my laptop not this PC.

3. I was asking this as i was/am weighing up the Tiepie compared with Pico & they seem to be in front with items in the software, the CAN decode example is below ..
CAN_decode.JPG
The graphing duty cycle has been asked for & spoke about on this forum before & is only on a 'to do' list as we speak ?
What features are ahead of this ?

The phase markers have only just been added & users of the WPS (not exactly a new accessory) have been using the time cursors for a long time, why just now the addition & how long have they been on the 'to do' list ?

Myself & a few other users are a little confused at what Tom mentioned regarding the phase markers & RPM so if it's the case of them not detecting an RPM change then i shall not be using them.
All i require of what i purchase, and when i do buy i try to buy the best at the time as the old saying goes 'you get what you pay for' ,is for it to do what it says on the tin.I don't expect to have it hanging around at the back of my head whether i am going to lose a waveform because the software crashes or the likes, because every time this happens (which is numerous) i lose faith, i had this with a scan tool i was Beta testing which i ended up drop kicking as far away as possible (I won't mention any names), i hope the Pico software does not get this way with me.

Before a stable release is mentioned to my last comment in the paragraph above, why should i have to use an old version when newer ones are out but full of problems ? In my eyes an update is an update & is supposed to be better than the last whether new additions are added or bugs fixed.

Alan
Pico Staff Member
Pico Staff Member

Post by Alan »

Hi,

As promised an update on your questions / issues.

1. I have some sympathy for your point about having 3 different types of releases (Beta, Release Candidate, Stable Release). It is a common way of managing software releases (Microsoft, Apple, Google all do this for example) but I can see the attraction of only offering 2 releases - one stable release and one to try out new features. We will discuss this more internally.

As for a stable release that contains both phase markers and channel labels that is due next week, hopefully in the first part of the week, but I can not promise an exact date.

2. When you have access to the file, please do send it to support so we can investigate whether its a USB pen drive specific issue.

3. CAN decode. As mentioned with the CAN decoding in PicoScope you can link to a file to decode the HEX into text. The example in your screenshot is decoding the J1939 protocol which is for heavy duty diesel engines and not for passenger cars (which I think is what you are after?). As mentioned the codes for each passenger car manufacturer are proprietary.

4. New features. We have a long list of new features we wish to add to our software, many of which are suggested by customers. We do have a list in order of priority but until work has actually started on a new feature it is subject to change so we will not give out a timescale. We also do not discuss future new features in public forums for obvious commercial reasons.

Regards
Alan