Audi A3 BKD Starter motor

If you are not a PicoScope user and want advice with a diagnostic problem then post here. Forum members may be able to help.
Avdr
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Audi A3 BKD Starter motor

Post by Avdr »

Just wondering if anyone has encountered problems with these cars. In early july 2013 I replaced a starter motor on this car, it was replaced with a refurbed item though a local auto factor - a big one, not a small company. The motor removed was original vw/audi.

2 months after the replacement, the refurbed item failed - in a different manner to the first I should add. I bench tested it here and found what appeared to be in intermittent solenoid operation, and when it did operate the armature turned very slowly with no torque behind it. At times when it wouldn't turn at all a sharp tap on the solenoid casing seemed to get it going.

I had filed a warranty claim against the cost of recovering the vehicle and labour to fit another starter motor - which was replaced by another refurbed item - provided by the same firm as the first.

Today I had the news that the warranty claim has been rejected on the grounds of the motor having been 'burnt out' - seems a tall order after just two months service. I phoned the firm who re-furbish the motors and spoke with the tester who inspected my motor. He says the brushes had been overheated and sighted possible extended cranking as a reason, or sticking igniton switch contacts.

The car is a good starter, though lumpy once running, but that isn't really a factor, and I know the battery to be in good condition.

Anyone come across this kind of thing? I'm dissapointed not to be getting re-imbursed but this post isn't a moan, more a request for info.

Wally
OneWave
OneWave

Re: Audi A3 BKD Starter motor

Post by Wally »

As you mentioned the solenoid needing a tap, could it have been that which was sticking rather than the ignition switch?

Wally

Avdr
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by Avdr »

They (the technician) tested the solenoid separately and found it to be electrically sound. From which I asked then was it a case of power getting across the solenoid ok but not making it onto the armature.
He agreed with this, but only now that you mention it has it occured to me that the solenoid ought to click still - as it would if the battery was flat - it didn't click.

I challenged him on the tap, and it was suggested that the tap was having an effect, but not on the solenoid itself. Right up until the morning it didn't start there was no reported issue with the motor. Whilst it was fitted on the vehicle and working correctly it didn't need to be tapped, which kind of negates a long standing solenoid problem I think.

pohutukawa

Post by pohutukawa »

Sounds like brushes are at fault. Given that they stated 'burnt out' i'd suggest either poor battery connections or faulty/missing earth, causing high amps, or...
poor manufacture of refurb i.e. bearings/bushes binding, creating extended commutator/brush lag which will cause brushes to overheat