Scope turning off and software hang ups

Ask any questions about using PicoScope 6 Automotive software here.
Avdr
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Scope turning off and software hang ups

Post by Avdr »

I seem to be having some problems with my set-up, this is by no means a new issue either.

I have a HP NC6120 laptop running windows xp sp3. This is my 'diagnostic' laptop and as free from clutter as possible - having only software relavent to diagnostics on it. It has no parts fiches or TIS guides etc - these all being on another computer.

At times (and to my great annoyance yesterday) the scope seeems to turn off - ie. the red light goes out and the software becomes very slow and can usually only be remedied by unplugging the scope, closing the software and plugging the scope back in, then restarting the software.

Does this sound like a software or hardware issue, the laptop is always plugged into the mains, and all the USB settings are configured to prevent the computer turning off the power to the USB ports.

This is not a constant problem, and lately there hasn't been very much work in requiring the scope, but its really annoying when I want to use it and it wont play ball.

Andy

Martyn
Pico Staff Member
Pico Staff Member

Re: Scope turning off and software hang ups

Post by Martyn »

Can you give us the full specification of the PC - right-click the My Computer icon (usually on your desktop or accessible from the Start bar) and select Properties.

Thanks
Martyn
Technical Support Manager

Avdr
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by Avdr »

Keep forgetting to do what you advise, will remember before the end of the week hopefully.

Avdr
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by Avdr »

Screen grab of spec attached
Attachments

[The extension bmp has been deactivated and can no longer be displayed.]

Martyn
Pico Staff Member
Pico Staff Member

Post by Martyn »

Has this PC had all the Microsoft updates ?

Which model of Picoscope are you using ? (serial number from the label would help identify the age)
Which version of Picoscope 6 are you using ?
And do you use the blue Picoscope USB lead ?
Martyn
Technical Support Manager

Avdr
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by Avdr »

Microsoft updates: To my knowledge it is bang upto date, still get the odd security fix from time to time - though quite infrequent now microsoft are no longer supporting xp. Its set to notify me of updates available for download and then notifies me again when they're ready to install.

Scope is a 4423 S/N: AY427/032

Pico has updated itself just the other day, it is now on 6.7.21.2, prior to that I'm not sure which version - is there a way of finding out in a system log? That said I usually allow it to update itself when I get the notification.
Infact as I write this (on the desktop pc) I have turned the laptop on to see the version on the laptop and have just been notified about version 6.7.35. As yet untested on either 6.7.21.2 or 6.7.35. As stated though it doesn't always happen so its a bit hit and miss whether a quick use of the scope is conclusive of the fault or not.

Yes I use the blue pico USB lead.

Thanks
Andy

Avdr
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by Avdr »

Had more issues today with software hang ups. Was using secondary HT probe on CHA. Wanted to set up CHB to use elsewhere. Clicked the drop down to select 20v on CHB, and the software crashed. The scale for CHB only appeared after I unplugged the scope, at which point the software recovered. Plugged the scope back in but it wasn't detected. Had to shut pico auto down and then restart the program to regain functionality.
Any ideas?

Lee
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by Lee »

Hi Andy

I get this myself especially with the software locking up and returning after unplugging the scope. I found it only happens after a software upgrade but in my experience I've found deleting the Scope Driver from Device Manager and re-installing the driver helps to rectify this.

Might be worth giving that a try and seeing how you get on.

Kind Regards

Lee - LMH Engineering Services :D

Avdr
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by Avdr »

Thanks Lee, will try that out.

Avdr
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by Avdr »

Still having problems.
I formatted the laptop over christmas/new year closure.
Re-installed my Texa program, VCDS, opcom and pico - latest version straight from the website.

Nothing else on there - not even office.
Twice now since then the same problem has occured. Pico locks up and refuses to restart until I unplug the scope.

Would really like to get to the bottom of this.