Books

Ask for and share advice on using the PicoScope kit to fix vehicles here.
Dundeeguy
OneWave
OneWave

Books

Post by Dundeeguy »

Hi all,

Ok, have got the 4ch scope, done the training with Matt Williams and need to get using the scope so it earns its keep!

Was looking for suggestions as to books worth getting on using the scope (or any others that would be useful)

Has anyone read James Dillons Oscilloscope Diagnostics book? If so, is it good or bad? Or are there any others that could be suggested. Preferably ones that are not way too advanced, but simple, clear, understandable and not too 'heavy' to read.

Cheers,

Kevin

Neilcur
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Re: Books

Post by Neilcur »

Hi Kevin,

We have got james dillions scope book (yellow cover) it has good detail and isn't too heavy.

I also bought Advanced Automotive Fault Diagnosis(2nd edition) by tom denton and it is good aswell doesn't tell you how to fix faults but explains how things work etc

Heard bosch do some good books aswell and can be purchased on amazon

Thanks Neil

Dundeeguy
OneWave
OneWave

Post by Dundeeguy »

Neil,

I just took delivery of Mr. Dentons book today, looks pretty good and good value.

Will maybe just purchase James Dillons book, but will await other replies......

Neilcur
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by Neilcur »

Hi Kevin,

If you google james dillions book it comes up with a few people talking about it, maybe other people on here have it aswell though.

What i have found more now i'm using scope more is if i find something different, i then need more knowledge to know what to do next i.e a signal missing and strange waveforms and intermittent glitches etc

Reading books help though and trying to keep an eye out for training courses aswell as there is alot of info out there to be learnt not just on scopes, which you need now as cars get more complicated.

Thanks Neil

craigM

Post by craigM »

Ive got his scope book and canbus and there pretty good.
My next buy when i have the cash is http://www.diagnostic-assistance.co.uk/ written by James Dillon as well.
Gets a good write up.

Alan
Pico Staff Member
Pico Staff Member

Post by Alan »

I can recommend http://www.scannerdanner.com/ is an e-book rather than printed but dont let that put you off as the content & case studies are excellent.

Dundeeguy
OneWave
OneWave

Post by Dundeeguy »

Thanks for the replies, I have ordered James Dillons book for some more bedtime reading!

Will think about scannerdanners ebook in the future.

My head is starting to hurt :shock:

SamP

Post by SamP »

Hi all,
Plus one on Paul Danner's book- its worth that 40 quid, would help you to understand loads of principles and its got links to YT vids with case studies.
Regards all

Valhalla
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by Valhalla »

Plus two on the scannerdanner book (Paul Danner). He goes to quite a bit of effort to explain the 'scope setup on his YouTube videos as well, so if you have a bit of basic grounding on how to set the 'scope up, then these videos can give you another step-up on understanding and using the Pico tools. I am rubbish on the software utilities around the Pico tools (never read the manuals...) but seeing some of Paul's videos has inspired me to improve!