Hello Pico Forum!

Come here to introduce yourself, who you are, what you do, and tell us your
experience with our automotive products.
Neilcur
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Re: Hello Pico Forum!

Post by Neilcur »

Hi Kevin,

Have you used scope much since course? Agree with what you have said about course!

Neil

Dundeeguy
OneWave
OneWave

Post by Dundeeguy »

Hi Neil,

Nah, not used it that much. Didn't go back to work until Wednesday. But had it on a polo playing about with injectors, lambda etc to get a feel of things.

Had a Clio in for temp gauge not always working, was able to capture the fault on the scope. The temp sender had 2 outputs - one for dash and one for ECU. Rigged up the two channels coupled up with the launch watching live data. Live data was reading spot on, but the hotter the engine got the more I could see the odd behaviour from one of the sensor outputs, coupled with dash gauge playing around, bingo!

This same car was in for a service a few weeks back where I had a quick look at live data and cooling fan operation to make sure all seemed fine cooling wise, so had advised a possible dash fault!

Customer was relieved to hear it was only the sensor. Great feeling to monitor the outputs from the new sensor with the scope to confirm the repair was a good one :D with the added bonus of seeing the thermostat was working spot on!

Ok, hardly a rocket science repair, but I was pretty chuffed with the results.

You been having any time to play around with the scope?

Neilcur
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by Neilcur »

Had it out on a fiat ducato that was missing when warm, scoped crank sensor and signal was dropping out the warmer the engine got so the ecu was struggling to pick up what was going on.

Like you not anything special but was good to prove the fault without wasting time and money and i now have a before and after capture for a reference.

Also scoped cam/crank while i was there like matt suggested for my library!

Not had an awful lot of diagnostic work in lately but hoping it picks up so i can use the scope more as it beats doing mot's and servicing!

Thanks Neil

Martyn
Pico Staff Member
Pico Staff Member

Post by Martyn »

Dundeeguy wrote: I no longer use the automotive presets when using the scope, and just set it up manually. Seems like the 'mist' has lifted quite a bit on the use of the scope.
Do you feel the Automotive Presets are confusing ?
Martyn
Technical Support Manager

Dundeeguy
OneWave
OneWave

Post by Dundeeguy »

Hi Martyn

I wouldn't say the presets are confusing. I think reason I am setting it up manually is it gets you thinking and understanding what you are testing. I've not had much practice using the scope with the presets, and since doing the course I have played with it more, but setting it manually.

The presets might be fine for a novice initially using to get the feel of things, but I think the biggest problem with the presets can be the 'suggested' waveforms can be a little hit and miss, which I realise is a difficult thing to to be spot on due to too many variables.

Cheers

ProDiag

Post by ProDiag »

Hi Chaps,

Thanks for the positive comments concerning the course!

Glad you have the confidence to just pick up the scope and use it and however simple the jobs you have mentioned are it all helps towards getting that first time fix!

All the best and if you need anything just give me a shout.

Regards,

Matt

Dundeeguy
OneWave
OneWave

Post by Dundeeguy »

ProDiag wrote:All the best and if you need anything just give me a shout
Hi Matt,

You should think about popping over the border again and carrying out some of your other courses. Going by the comments from the other guys there, more knowledge was gained on your course, than the other courses these guys had been on! (I'm sure you know who I'm talking about :wink: )

Feel free to send me that discount code for the next course :D

Cheers,

Kevin

ProDiag

Post by ProDiag »

Hi Kevin,

Thanks for the comments I always try to make sure everyone on the course gets as much information as they need, its always difficult as a trainer to please everyone but I give my best shot!

Always happy to pop over the borders so keep spreading the word, it all helps :)

I have a few ideas for developing some new courses so keep an eye out for that either on the Pico newsletter or my website in the next few months.

Thanks again,

Matt

Dundeeguy
OneWave
OneWave

Post by Dundeeguy »

ProDiag wrote:I have a few ideas for developing some new courses so keep an eye out for that either on the Pico newsletter or my website in the next few months.

Thanks again,

Matt
Excellent, will stay tuned :)