denso alternators

Ask for and share advice on using the PicoScope kit to fix vehicles here.
andybed
OneWave
OneWave

denso alternators

Post by andybed »

anyone else had a run on failed alternators?the list is ford focus,c max,volvo s4o and hyundai santa fe and guess what the common denomenator is,everyone was a denso unit. also when these vehicles come in with a no charging problem,there is a burning type hot smell coming from the alternator.a quick check using pico confirms charging issues.

Avdr
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Re: denso alternators

Post by Avdr »

Are they all smart charge types?
Not done any myself but worth looking out for.

andybed
OneWave
OneWave

Post by andybed »

hyundai wasn,t.can,t remember others.to be honest these jobs have been spread over the last year ish

Darren Cotton
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by Darren Cotton »

when you said you had a run of these failed alternators I thought you meant in a space of weeks.... three over a year is not allot in my opinion..

are they re-manufactured by some one else or are these genuine Denso alternators...

Darren

andybed
OneWave
OneWave

Post by andybed »

just to clarify darren,they were all original units that came with the car.ive done 6 focus and 3 c max plus the others.i agree not a vast amount,just thought a pattern was begining to form.

Robski
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by Robski »

hmmmm......... so these were the existing units on the cars & not new ones fitted that failed (that's how i interpreted this thread) ?

andybed
OneWave
OneWave

Post by andybed »

i should explain myself clearer.i.m not the best typist so i cut things short.im more of a spanner man.although with scopes and scantools now they tend to come out my box before the tools do.iv,e got a polo on its way with intermittent power steering,had any dealings with em?

Justin

Post by Justin »

have had this probelm with both a Lupo and a polo. voltage deficiency seems to be the cause - the power distribution cuts out the p/s first if the voltage isn't correct - but have been unable to determine if it is the alternator or the P/Spump circuit at fault - have even sent one to VW and they couldn't figure it out either. hoping using the scope will help me sort this out next time i see the car.
suspect corrosion in the pump circuitry, but not a five minute fix to strip and check, will update as soon as i find out any more!