Audible alarm option

Ask any questions about using PicoScope 6 Automotive software here.
Avdr
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Audible alarm option

Post by Avdr »

Had occasion today to wish there was a way my scope could tell me when a trigger had begun capturing, or even more simply when a voltage threshold was reached on an input.
Have been tracing an intermittent problem with a lambda sensor, cut a long story short, the signal wire has at times had vBatt potential across it, which really upsets the ECU. While under the car wiggling the harness, it would have been handy to know if there had been any effect on signal - without having to walk over to the scope and keep going back through buffers.

Any chance on a future release guys?

Thanks

Alan
Pico Staff Member
Pico Staff Member

Re: Audible alarm option

Post by Alan »

Sorry for a rushed reply but there is a feature to do this already under the tools menu called alarms.

There are a few different options here, but try enabling the "beep" alarm on capture. Set the trigger so it only captures the problem - eg rising over 8V and then the PC should beep each time it occurs.

A bit more complicated to set up but for sensor "wiggle" testing you can set up a window trigger to trigger each time the signal drops out of range - it allows 2 trigger levels so you can trigger if the sensor signal drops say below 0.5V or goes above 4.5V. Another way of doing this is called mask limit testing - which allows the waveform to be captured with no trigger but beep and or save to disk when the waveform is out of range.

I will see if someone has time to write a short application note on "wiggle testing" if that would help?

Avdr
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Re: Audible alarm option

Post by Avdr »

alan wrote:Sorry for a rushed reply but there is a feature to do this already under the tools menu called alarms.
So there is :D

I should've gone into help before running to the forum. Thats great thanks for the explanation Alan.