New user and looking to buy first scope!

Come here to introduce yourself, who you are, what you do, and tell us your
experience with our automotive products.
GRUSS
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

New user and looking to buy first scope!

Post by GRUSS »

Evening all
I've been lurking on here for a few weeks now so I thought I would join and introduce my self. I'm Russ and work a vauxhall/KIA main dealer in southyorkshire uk. I've been on a KIA course and used their own scope for about an hour and found it very interesting. Since then I've been researching the pico scope in detail, I've watched various Frank Massey videos and read various articles.I want to improve my diagnostic skills at work and for my self for the future etc. I'm interested in canbus as I deal with it a lot at work, and I know scopes come in very useful.
I'm in the process of buying a automotive kit but would like some advice, please bear in mind I'm a novice when it comes to scopes.
I've been offered an advanced kit and 6 training DVDs from auto inform at a very nice price but I've also found a ex pico employee (Matt Williams) who is willing to put together a custom 4 channel kit and deliver to my home and spend the day with me giving one one one training.
In your opinion am I better off getting the training and the basic kit where I will probably be able to pick it up with someone explaining in person or go with the all singing all dancing advanced kit and the Frank Massey DVDs?
Obviously if go with e basic kit will be wNting to expand in the future, well that's what I'm thinking anyway. Or is learning how to use the thing better in the longrun..

You all seem like a helpful bunch on here so would like to upload various problem vauxhall wave patterns for you to view and comment on.
Look forward to your replies.
Many thanks

Alan
Pico Staff Member
Pico Staff Member

Re: New user and looking to buy first scope!

Post by Alan »

Welcome to the forum and what a great first question!

Its actually a difficult one for me to answer personally as both Matt and Frank are both excellent trainers and both good friends of mine!

Both options sound good but if forced to choose solely on whether training is by DVD or face to face then face to face training wins as it can be tailored to your needs / run at your own pace.

4d

Post by 4d »

Also check out tech topics (James Dillon) for your purchase and his diagnostic courses which he also does on a Saturday.
It really is well worth the trip to Bridgwater.
www.techtopics.co.uk

GRUSS
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by GRUSS »

Hi Alan and thanks for the reply.
If I go with my gut feeling, I think a one on one session far out weighs a typical classroom learning session or a DVD.
I've spoken to both Matt and James just before Xmas who both sell scopes on ebay. Both have really good deals on and seemed nice to talk to but I got a really good vibe from Matt, plus he can deliver and spend the day with me.

Once I master the bare basics on how to operate the scope etc, then I can look at DVD training and even more courses etc.
I've read quite a few of the case studies and there really interesting. I just need to learn how to understand the wave forms. I've got my head around the ignition ones but keep reading over the erg ones etc.
I suppose I'll learn!

On another note, I've got my eye on a panasonic tough book.Any personal recommendations?

Thanks

Alan
Pico Staff Member
Pico Staff Member

Post by Alan »

Choice of laptop is a subject where there are many different opinions. A few comments, but others may have different views:

1. Any laptop made in the last couple of years should be powerful enough.

2. Try to get a laptop where the screen is not too shiny / reflects in sunlight.

3. Panasonic toughbooks bounce if dropped which can be handy and I have used them personally for many years (other makes of rugged PCs are available....). They are however very expensive new so the alternative approach is to buy a much cheaper laptop or netbook and not worry too much - you can drop several of these before you get to the cost of a toughbook (but may have downtime whilst you get another one).

If you put a laptop on a mobile trolley (some even use cheap consumer tea trolleys) then the chances of it coming to harm are pretty small. I would not bother with a CF-18 / CF-19 if you are going to use a trolley as the small screen size will be a bit of a pain when viewing from a distance.

4. If you want a specific recommendation then the Lenovo G570 range is a good compromise - the latest dual core i5 processors are more than fast enough and so far neither of my kids have managed to destroy one. Trust me, if it can survive my kids its up to the job of use in a workshop. If you know your way around PCs then a toughbook on ebay is another option.

GRUSS
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by GRUSS »

Thanks for the reply, I had my eye on the cf-18 as well.

GRUSS
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by GRUSS »

Just abit of a update really. I got my 4 channel picoscope from James at technical topics.It was a tough decision but I felt that the aftersales support and training sold it for me. I've got a free days training when I want this year and it also came with a free book, which is an excellent read!

I then bought a Dell d630 1.8ghz dual core processor with windows xp on. I do plan to upgrade the ram from 1.5 to 3 or 4.I've installed the pico software and plan to spend some time with it tomorrow.

Looking forward over the next few months to learning and getting the benefit from having a scope! :D