Primary-Secondary Ignition

Ask any questions relating to the PicoScope hardware or kit contents here.
If you have any questions prior to purchasing the kit post them here.
PeterM
OneWave
OneWave

Primary-Secondary Ignition

Post by PeterM »

I have a 3223 - does anyone know:

About the connectivity to the large coil pack [complete cartridge unit for say a 4 cylinder engine which sits between the camshafts] It is an all in one unit.

I Just need confirmation that all I can test with this type of assembly is secondary ignition. However any information about primary would be appreciated.

Please don't point me towards a website!

Thanks PeterM

Autonerdz
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Primary

Post by Autonerdz »

Hi Peter,

The short answer is that it depends. I would need to see the wiring diagram detail for the specific application to answer that.

Most likely though, the primary circuitry is contained within the package and would be difficult, if not impossible, to tap for direct voltage. This is often the case with may Coil On Plug systems as well. Many of these have the igniter or power transistor contained within the coil itself. On these, access to direct primary voltage is impossible. You can, however, view the IC commands, primary current, or possibly pick up the secondary/primary activity with a capacitive probe. The last one can sometimes be done by placing a pickup in proximity to the coil but, if that isn't fruitful, it may be necessary to install coil extension leads between the plugs and the coils.

THE PicoScope Automotive Authority
In North America

PeterM
OneWave
OneWave

Re: Primary-Secondary Ignition

Post by PeterM »

Dear Tom, thanks for the reply,

I appreciate what you are saying about coil extension leads. In with a chance with 4 cylinder engines, but how would you test in situ the coil cartridge packs of a V6 cylinder engine.

To fit coil on plug leads would be totally impossible. I’m a Mechanic by trade. Where do we go from here?

Thanks a lot, Peter

Autonerdz
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Re: Primary-Secondary Ignition

Post by Autonerdz »

Peter,

In the event that access to primary and secondary voltage is difficult or impossible, you are left with monitoring the primary current. Go to the right place in the circuit and you can parade all the coils at once. It's surprising what you can see in primary current behavior to help ID the offending cylinder sometimes. At the very least, you can validate the primary drive for each of the coils.

I know you didn't want a link to additional information but I think you know where to find it... :wink:

THE PicoScope Automotive Authority
In North America