Hello from Virginia

Come here to introduce yourself, who you are, what you do, and tell us your
experience with our automotive products.
kirkallworth

Hello from Virginia

Post by kirkallworth »

I've been trying to get more involved with Pico scope through out my career. I had great automotive teachers about 11 years ago, that really drove home how important oscilloscopes and waveform knowledge can be in our careers. Oscilloscope diagnosis is definitely not a strength of mine, but I do enjoy it. I'm hoping to grow a little more and really learn how to streamline my diagnostics.
Thank you,
-Kirk

Steve Smith
Pico Staff Member
Pico Staff Member

Re: Hello from Virginia

Post by Steve Smith »

Hello Kirk, thank you for the post and welcome to the forum

Thank God we have automotive teachers who not only “teach” but inspire others to drive forward

When attending training courses, I often feel the trainer has a small window of opportunity to plant the relevant knowledge whereby it’s then up to the delegate to take this knowledge and make it grow

The fact that you have remembered his/her training speaks volume and we are all lucky to have such dedicated and passionate individuals within our trade

Regarding getting more involved, whenever you have time (which is never I am sure) attach to PicoScope to vehicles that do not exhibit any faults.

This is great for understanding the interaction between functioning sensors and actuators along with anomalies like “noise” and voltage spikes etc.

The following link has a vast array of information to digest topic15231.html

I hope this helps, take care…..Steve

kirkallworth

Post by kirkallworth »

Steve,
Thank you for the warm welcome and the link for "links to useful information", I have bookmarked it for quick reference. Thanks for the reminder to be capturing known good waveforms too, they always help. I work in the euro world (primarily BMW) so finding "known good" anything can be a struggle sometimes even though we pay yearly for the BMW work instructions/scan tool.
Yes, I was lucky to have great teachers in the past and I've tried to remain around other motivated individuals as well. With the blue collar workforce becoming more rare, so has finding good technicians. Thankfully I'm in a great spot now, so no complaints.
I will definitely be posting good/bad waveforms next chance I get. Pico online seems like a great community.
Thanks again,
Kirk Allworth

PicoKev
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by PicoKev »

Hi Kirk,

Perhaps as a BMW tech you might have an opinion on Steve's wife's car here :arrow: topic22828.html

Good to have you along, there are a number of BMW wavforms in the waveform library but there is room for plenty more whilst you do your research on known Good vehicles. :D

Kev.

kirkallworth

Post by kirkallworth »

Kevin,
Wow, that is such a thorough look into the operation of those diesel components. I hope someday to get on that level! I will need to read through the X5 diesel diagnosis again to try and get a better understanding of what's going on during your tests (which are very interesting). The thermal imaging is such a good idea that I forget about. I have used a thermal imager for parasitic draw diagnosis with success. I did mention I work primarily on BMW's. If you're curious of our set up we are an independent shop specializing in BMW. Other brands we service include Mercedes Benz, Porsche, and Audi. We have the Porsche diagnostic tool and work instructions on order (that's whole different topic on when we'll get that). Half the shop does service/diagnosis and the other works mainly on racecars.

The air filter on the X5 looked due for a replacement, but I agree I would not have thought that to be the cause. I look up to you and Steve, and I've started watching a lot of the Pico Youtube videos. If you're curious here is some random things I have noticed/learned in my dealer career. You may already know them so I apologize if it's basic knowledge to you. My career involves: 1 year Lexus dealer, 5 years Mercedes dealer, 3 years Land Rover/Jaguar dealer prior to my place of work now.

-Mercedes Benz: on diesels in the past that have two engine air filters, if you replace them and do not reset the learned air filter values in DAS MB scan tool, it can set a CEL
-MB diesel known for pressure differential sensors going bad, possibly clogged
-MB deteriorating DPF regens have helped fix some fault issues
-Mercedes and Land Rover had a small handful of PCM software updates/recalls to fix PCM faults related to Diesel emissions fault codes
-Jaguars in the past that run on petrol that have two engine air filters: if they were not replaced with the same part number or at the same time would set PCM faults
Note: in Northern VA most counties require emissions inspections every 1-2 years. We don't have a lot of diesel passenger vehicles, and I believe MB doesn't offer them anymore. The issues we have faced involve a lot of finger pointing between Europe and United States. Setting emissions monitors for Diesels has been a challenge for us at times.

Maybe you know a lot about these subjects already, if so I apologize.

-Kirk Allworth

Steve Smith
Pico Staff Member
Pico Staff Member

Post by Steve Smith »

Thank you for the feedback Kirk and there is never any obligation to respond or reply

I sincerely hope the post in question prevents others making the same mistake.

I found "resetting learned values" for air filters very interesting and this may be a step I missed given I am using a generic scan tool. (I could not see this in "special functions" but that is not to say it does not exist within the OE Scan tool )

The Jaguar comment is interesting to, surrounding replacing twin air filters with the same part numbers, which suggest that flow rates may differ with an alternative part, even though it can be installed.

If that is the case for OE parts, can you imagine the huge variables with aftermarket parts?

What a mine filed we could be walking into

Thank you again for the feedback, take care.....Steve