Can i use old 4000 series channel a test leads to check battery positive cable voltage drop

Ask for and share advice on using the PicoScope kit to fix vehicles here.
FAROOQ_HUSSAIN

Can i use old 4000 series channel a test leads to check battery positive cable voltage drop

Post by FAROOQ_HUSSAIN »

With my old 4000 series which shares a commom ground for all 4 channels. By using channel A test leads to check battery positive cable voltage drop.does it shows potential difference in between the wire.is it must to connect one end of the test lead to ground.and please explain why is it important to connect one end to ground please explain as i am new to using picoscope.thank you for your valuable time to answer my question.

Steve Smith
Pico Staff Member
Pico Staff Member

Re: Can i use old 4000 series channel a test leads to check battery positive cable voltage drop

Post by Steve Smith »

Hello and thank you for the post.

Using a common ground scope to measure voltage drop in a supply line (i.e. anything other than a ground cable) will require the use of 2 channels referenced to chassis ground

The following article https://www.picoauto.com/library/traini ... ing-inputs describes how this technique is carried out using the 4423 (Common ground) and the 4425 (Floating input)

Basically, we measure the voltages at each end of the cable (referenced to chassis ground ) and subtract one from the other to find the voltage drop

I hope this helps and please feedback for any clarification

Take care...Steve