PicoScope 7 Automotive Software

Ask any questions about using the new PicoScope 7 Automotive software here.
Steve Smith
Pico Staff Member
Pico Staff Member

Re: PicoScope 7 Automotive Software

Post by Steve Smith »

Thank you as always to the software teams for the latest release of PicoScope 7 version 7.0.63.7360 due here https://oem.picoauto.com/p7beta/download week commencing 21/12/20

Measurement System Selection

It is now possible to switch been the Imperial and Metric measurement systems using the preferences option. As a result, pressure can be displayed in psi or bar and temperature can be displayed as Celsius or Fahrenheit

• Click on the “More” button in the left-hand tool panel to reveal all the available options for PicoScope 7
• Click on the Settings symbol to reveal the Language and Preferences tabs
• Note: Clicking on the “Star” symbol to the left of the Settings symbol will place the Settings button in the left-hand tool panel where it will remain ready for use without having to select “More”
• Select the Preferences tab and choose the desired measurement system
Image 1
Image 1
• N.B Default applies the PC Operating System (OS’s) regional settings, Metric applies the metric system and Imperial applies the US imperial measurements system, regardless of the OS’s regional settings.
• The Measurements settings will be applied to the loaded psdata/pssettings files, meaning that if a file is saved in degrees Celsius, when loaded into PS7 that has the Measurements system set to Imperial (or default if OS is set to US), the data on the graph, in the measurements and everywhere relevant to PS7 will be displayed in degrees Fahrenheit and vice-versa

Multiple Start-up settings

• Click on the “More” button in the left-hand tool panel to reveal all the available options for PicoScope 7
• Click on the Settings symbol to reveal the Language and Preferences tabs
• Note: Clicking on the “Star” symbol to the left of the Settings symbol will place the Settings button in the left-hand tool panel where it will remain ready for use without having to select “More”
• Select the Preferences tab and choose the desired Start-up settings
• “Factory” Start-up settings will ensure the scope starts up with the default settings included with PS7 when originally installed
• “User” Start-up settings will ensure the scope starts up as configured and described here viewtopic.php?p=101289#p101289
• “Last session” Start-up settings will ensure the scope starts up as configured when closed during the last session of operation
Image 2
Image 2
Feedback on the design and function of the “Measurement System selection” feature and “Start-up settings” would be most welcome. Click on More > Send Feedback within the software

PicoScope 7 now includes PicoDiagnostics

Downloading PicoScope 7 version 7.0.63.7360 will now include PicoDiagnostics (PD) software version 1.16.0.5653.
PD Version 1.16.0.5653. does not replace your existing PicoDiagnostics version 1.16.0.5247 which is downloaded with the current generic version of PicoScope 6 Automotive (6.14.25.5247).
Both these versions of PicoDiagnostics (1.16.0.5653 & 1.16.0.5247) will be installed on your PC if you have PS6 installed.
N.B Your existing Desktop icon for PicoDiagnostics will however launch the new version of PD (1.16.0.5653) which is identical in functionally to the existing PD version 1.16.0.5247

Improved serial decode search and filtering for Boolean values (True or False)

Searching for fields with Boolean values (True or False) within the serial decode table has been improved thanks to the addition of True or False entry fields.

Following on from the serial decode “search” feature here viewtopic.php?p=101177#p101177 and the “filtering” feature here viewtopic.php?p=101246#p101246 when searching a field with a Boolean value (e.g. tick or cross) the argument text entry control will update to a True/False

In the example below we are searching for the “Valid” field which returns an argument “Equal to” True or False (In this scenario True is a tick, False is a cross)
Image 3
Image 3
Below we have edited the argument for the “Valid” field to “False” which returns a single packet with a cross. Note the search field can also be deleted by clicking on the bin symbol
Image 4
Image 4
Feedback on the design and function of the Boolean value search and filtering feature would be most welcome. Click on More > Send Feedback within the software

Probe Mismatch enhancements (PicoScope 4x25A)

“Ease of use” has always been one of the main driving factors behind PicoScope 7 and the new 4x25A Automotive scopes.

Probe Mismatch is one such feature that will enable users of the 4x25A scopes to connect the relevant BNC+ probes for the loaded file (saved using BNC+ probes) so ensuring your PicoScope is set up the correctly to replicate the loaded capture

Following on from the early introduction of Probe mismatch here viewtopic.php?p=100587#p100587 additional options are now available for selecting standard BNC probes when using 4x25A scopes

Using a 4425A scope, we have loaded the waveform below that was originally saved using BNC+ probes. Upon selecting “Run” the Probe Mismatch Dialog Box will appear to inform the user of “Probes Expected” and “Probes Found”. N.B. If the Scope/PS7 detects the correct BNC+ probes are already connected, the Probe Mismatch Dialog box will not appear
Image 5
Image 5
In the scenario above, Probe Mismatch has identified Channel A already has a x1 BNC+ test lead connected and is a match for the loaded file (Probe Expected = Probe Found)

Channel B however is a different story as no BNC+ probe was detected and so we have 3 options.

1. We could select “Run with found probes” where PicoScope will select the most applicable probe setting to match the “Probe Expected” (A BNC+ 60 A current clamp)
2. Connect a BNC+ 60 A current clamp, where the Probe Mismatch dialog box will automatically disappear and the scope will begin to run
3. Click on the “BNC+ not detected” button and select the relevant standard BNC probe from the choices displayed. Once the applicable standard BNC probe has been selected to match the “Probe Expected” (A BNC+ 60 A current clamp) the Probe Mismatch dialog box will automatically disappear and the scope will begin to run

Feedback on the design and function of the “Probe Mismatch” feature would be most welcome. Click on More > Send Feedback within the software

Recent waveforms

“Recent waveforms” are now displayed in thumbnail view when selecting “Open” from the utilities bar
• Launch PicoScope 7 and click on the “Open” button found within the utilities bar
• PicoScope 7 will now display the “Recent File Grid” which includes thumbnails of your most recent waveforms so allowing rapid access to previous captures
• Alternatively, click on the “Browse” button to locate older, previously saved captures
Image 6
Image 6
Feedback on the design and function of the “Recent File Grid” would be most welcome. Click on More > Send Feedback within the software

Duplicating BNC+ probes

Following on from our custom probe discussion here viewtopic.php?p=101246#p101246 it is now possible to duplicate and edit a BNC+ probe using the “Manage Probes” edit feature

• Clicking on any of the channel option buttons and selecting the Probe tab will reveal the “Manage probes” feature of PicoScope 7 (within the Probe menu)
• Click on “Edit” within the “Manage probes” section of the Probe menu to duplicate then amend the probe configuration for the connected BNC+ probe
• Below we have a blue x1 BNC+ test lead connected to Channel A of a 4425A Scope which has now been edited to display current (A) rather than voltage (V)
Image 7
Image 7
• Edit the connected BNC+ probe accordingly to suit your application. Here I have chosen to display the voltage (V) measured by a x1 BNC+ test lead as amps (A)
Image 8
Image 8
• The duplicated x1 BNC+ test lead is now displayed in the “Custom” section of the probe menu ready for selection when such a x1 BNC+ probe is required
• Below we now have a blue x1 BNC+ test lead connected to Channel A; however, we have chosen to apply the duplicated configuration for this probe such that we can now display the measured values in amps (A)
Image 9
Image 9
• A typical application for the above probe could be measuring the voltage drop across a known resister (using a x1 BNC+ test lead) to display current. Parasitic drain is one such example where we can now connect a x1 BNC+ test lead across a 0.1 Ω resister to derive current without using math. viewtopic.php?p=96541#p96541

Feedback on the design and function of “Duplicating BNC+ Probes” would be most welcome. Click on More > Send Feedback within the software

Enhancements and Bug Fixes

• Improvements to the probe & math wizard display across all platforms
• Improvements to the display and alignment of the serial decode table
• Improved stability of PicoScope 7 application during file loading
• Improved stability of Full Screen Mode when adjusting rulers
• Improvements to save and load of serial decode between time rulers
• Improve precision of “time” data within serial decode table
• Improvements to the application of Bandwidth Limit
• Improved editing function of serial decode table
• Custom probes and loaded probes now remain visible when BNC+ probes connected

I hope this helps and all the very best for 2021, “it’s going to be great”

Take care…….Steve

liviu2004
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by liviu2004 »

I'm grateful for each and every beta, I am installing and playing with them all, looking forward for Waveform Library then I stop using 6.

Small error to be corrected on website, showing version 53 to download.
Attachments
7.0.53.PNG

martinr
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by martinr »

Thanks, Steve. PS7 is really taking shape; it’s time I bit the bullet and abandoned my PS6 comfort zone for good. I’m really pleased that Frequency Coupling has been changed to Frequency Counting: “coupling” always made me feel there was something I hadn’t quite grasped, especially as it was listed along with AC and DC Coupling.

Steve Smith
Pico Staff Member
Pico Staff Member

Post by Steve Smith »

Thank you all for the feedback and nice catch re the download page too Liviu (I have informed the team)

Your collective feedback is shaping PS7 and it will continue to evolve as we move on

All the very best and take care......Steve

liviu2004
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by liviu2004 »

Sad to see this, software is not watertight. How many 2206 have been calibrated on that date?
Attachments
PicoScope 7 Automotive.jpg

ben.martins
Pico Staff Member
Pico Staff Member

Post by ben.martins »

Thanks for the heads up Liviu and yes, this is sad but it can be fixed.

I'll report this first tomorrow in order to make sure the next release is much tighter.

Thanks again.

Kind regards

Ben

Steve Smith
Pico Staff Member
Pico Staff Member

Post by Steve Smith »

Thank you once again to the software teams for their continued dedication to the development of PicoScope 7 Automotive which can be downloaded here https://oem.picoauto.com/p7beta/download

PicoScope 7 version 7.0.64.7468 to be released 20/01/21

Custom probe Filtering, Auto Range & activation

Further to the introduction of our Custom probe feature here viewtopic.php?p=101246#p101246 additional work has been carried out to improve the functionally and application of the custom probe wizard entries

• Filtering: Low pass filtering will now be applied to the probe whenever the relevant custom probe is selected
• Auto Range: Can now be applied to the relevant custom probe if so desired
• Activation: The created custom probe will become active for the chosen channel upon completion of the custom probe wizard

In the example below we have the “Options” display of the custom probe wizard where Auto Range and Low pass filtering can be applied
Image 1
Image 1
The following video will help clarify the process above:
VIDEO 1.mp4
Video 1
(2.05 MiB) Downloaded 518 times
Feedback on the design and function of the Custom probe wizard and functionality would be most welcome

Click on More > Send Feedback within the software

Ruler “view control” added for measurements between rulers with multiple active viewports

• Ensure multiple scope views are active (see here viewtopic.php?p=99874#p99874 for viewport functionality)
• Apply both time rulers to your chosen waveform in each scope view
• Click on “Measurements” and choose a measurement value for the desired waveform
• The measurement value will now appear under the entire graph
• Click on the chosen measurement value and select “Between rulers”
• When selecting “Between Rulers” an additional “Ruler view” control has been added to enable selection of the scope view on which to apply the measurement

In the example below we have chosen to measure the “Mean” value of channel C between the time rulers in both scope view 1 and 2
Image 2
Image 2
Below: Displayed “Mean” results for Scope view 1 & 2
Image 3
Image 3
The following video will help clarify the process above:
VIDEO 2.mp4
Video 2
(2.69 MiB) Downloaded 483 times
Feedback on the design and function of the measurement feature would be most welcome

Select device from “Stopped” button

• Double click on a psdata file to simultaneously launch PicoScope 7 and open your chosen file
• You will notice the “Stopped” button is no longer greyed out but displayed as “Red”
• Clicking on the “Stopped” button (to run PicoScope) will now open the “Connect Device” dialog
• You now have the option to select a device from the “Connect Device dialog”
• In most cases this will either be Demo Mode (if no device connected) or the scope connected to the PC when the psdata file was opened

In the example below I am lucky enough to have 3 options after loading a psdata file and pressing the “Stopped” button. I can run in Demo Mode, or choose the desired scope (4425 or 4425A)
Image 4
Image 4
Feedback on the design and function of the “Stopped” button and device selection would be most welcome

Probe mismatch dialog to include option “Show only when using PicoBNC+ probes”

Following on from our probe mismatch feature here viewtopic.php?p=100587#p100587 and probe mismatch enhancements here viewtopic.php?p=101343#p101343 the probe mismatch dialog will now feature an option to “Show only when using PicoBNC+ probes

Assuming I have a 4x25A scope connected (with no probes attached) and I load a waveform (which contains BNC+ probes) pressing the “Running/Stopped” button will activate the Probe Mismatch Dialog Box to inform me of the “Probes Expected” and “Probes Found”.

In the example below I have loaded a psdata file where a BNC+ 60 A current clamp was used on channel A (Probe expected) however, I have nothing connected to channel A when I try to run the scope. The probe mismatch dialog box is therefore displayed to inform me the “Probe Found” status is “PicoBNC+ not detected”
Image 5
Image 5
Here I have the option to either connect a BNC+ 60 A clamp to channel A or, select a similar BNC probe manually as described here viewtopic.php?p=101343#p101343

Alternatively, I can now check the tick box adjacent to “Show only when using PicoBNC+ probes” whereby the probe mismatch dialog box will only appear if I have an incorrectly connected BNC+ probe. Below the probe mismatch dialog box has appeared only because I have loaded a file where a BNC+ 60 A current clamp was used on channel A (“Probe Expected”) and I have a BNC+ HT secondary ignition pick-up connected to channel A (“Probe Found”)
Image 6
Image 6
Feedback on the design and function of the Probe Mismatch dialog would be most welcome

Reset configuration warning

To prevent users accidently losing data, selecting “Reset Configuration” is now followed with a warning.

• Click on the “Reset Configuration” button
• Note: Clicking on the “Star” symbol to the left of the “Reset Configuration” button will place the “Reset Configuration” button in the left-hand tool panel where it will remain ready for use without having to select “More”
• Selecting the “Reset Configuration” button will now open a Confirmation dialog box where the default scope settings will be applied. More information on default scope settings can be found here viewtopic.php?p=101343#p101343
• The option to “Do not display again” is included within the Confirmation dialog box
Image 7
Image 7
Feedback on the design and function of the Reset configuration Confirmation dialog box would be most welcome

Bug fixes

• Improved editing of serial decoder “search field” text entries
• Improved editing function of custom probe “table” entries.
• Retention of saved probe coupling feature when opening with PicoScope 7
• Improvements across all platforms to the alignment of measurement lozenges when large mode selected
• Degree symbol ° error corrected for Mac
• Coil on plug probe to revert to a symmetrical mV range (not kV) when selected
• Improvements to channel label display for Linux users
• Improved stability of input range display (within channel options button) when switching between metric and imperial measurement systems
• Improved graph activation when running scope
• Measurement system imperial/metric options now included for Mac and Linux

I hope this helps, take care……Steve

Steve Smith
Pico Staff Member
Pico Staff Member

Post by Steve Smith »

Thank you once again to the software teams for their continued dedication to the development of PicoScope 7 Automotive which can be downloaded here https://oem.picoauto.com/p7beta/download

PicoScope 7 version 7.0.65.7579 (Release date: Week commencing February 1st 2021)

New NVH Diagnostic Help

Thanks to Barney, Ben and the publications team we now have a new NVH help manual in PicoDiagnostics bundled with PicoScope 7 Automotive. If you work with NVH already, or are interested in learning about NVH, the please take a look below:

• Open PicoDiagnostics version 1.16.0.5653 bundled with PicoScope 7 Automotive
• Click on the NVH button and select “Help”
• Select “NVH Diagnostic Help”
• A new guide will now open which demonstrates how you successfully locate and identify the sources of NVH
Image 1
Image 1
Below we have an example taken from the new NVH guide describing the set-up required to tackle excessive propshaft vibration
Image 2
Image 2
Feedback on the design of our new NVH Diagnostic help would be most welcome via support@picotech.com

Auto connect and capture for a single connected device

• Ensure a single PicoScope connected to the PC
• Launch PicoScope 7 software or, double click on a PS Settings file
• The application will automatically start, connect to PicoScope and begin capturing

Feedback on the design and function of the Auto connect & capture feature would be most welcome

Bug fixes

• Improve functionality of “Channel Options” invert feature
• Improvements to the loading of link files when using the serial decoder
• Improved handling of displayed math channel unit names
• Improved handling of measurement values when navigating between buffers
• When saving a PS Data file with a relocated decode table, upon reopening the file, PS7 will ensure the decode table is displayed in the saved location

I hope this helps, take care…….Steve

Steve Smith
Pico Staff Member
Pico Staff Member

Post by Steve Smith »

PicoScope 7 version 7.0.68.7827 (scheduled release date 16-03-21)

Spectrum mode
PicoScope 7 Automotive now includes Spectrum mode (Frequency based instrument)
• Click on the “Instruments” button
• Note: Clicking on the “Star” symbol to the left of the “Instruments” button will place the “Instruments” icon in the left-hand tool panel where it will remain ready for use without having to select “More”
• Selecting the “Instruments” button will now present the option to change PicoScope from a Time based instrument (Scope) to a Frequency based instrument (Spectrum)
In the example below we have selected “Spectrum”
Image  1
Image 1
Note how PicoScope will now display “Magnitude” against “Frequency” when set to spectrum mode

FFT controls
With spectrum mode selected, a number of essential FFT controls are available
• With Spectrum mode selected, click on the FFT control button
Note the FFT control button contains a summary of the current FFT settings such as Range, Bin Count & Sample rate
• Click on the “Range” tab to select the desired frequency range
• An integrated zoom feature is now included using the “Start Stop” feature within the range menu
• Below we have chosen a frequency range of 0 – 250 Hz, however, using the “Start Stop” feature we can concentrate on the range of interest (70 – 100 kHz) without changing the entire FFT frequency range
Image 2
Image 2
Note, adjusting the zoom overview or amending the zoom position will also update the “Start Stop” values accordingly

Additional FFT controls
• Click on the “Bins” tab to select the desired Window function and bin count
Image 3
Image 3
• Click on the “Axis” tab to select the desired Display mode, Y & X axis scale, desired unit of magnitude and decade count
Image 4
Image 4

Additional Spectrum measurements

• With Spectrum mode selected, click on the “More” button in the left-hand tool panel to reveal all the available options for PicoScope 7
• Click on the “Measurements” button
• Note: Clicking on the “Star” symbol to the left of the “Measurements” button will place the “Measurements” icon in the left-hand tool panel where it will remain ready for use without having to select “More”
• Selecting “Measurements” in Spectrum mode will now present a number of additional spectrum related measurements (E.g., Amplitude or Frequency at Peak)
Image 5
Image 5
Multiple Scope and Spectrum viewports
Any combination of Time and Frequency based instruments can be displayed using the “Views” feature of PicoScope 7
• Starting with Scope mode selected (Time based instrument) click on the “More” button in the left-hand tool panel to reveal all the available options for PicoScope 7
• Click on the “Views” button
• Note: Clicking on the “Star” symbol to the left of the “Views” button will place the “Views” icon in the left-hand tool panel where it will remain ready for use without having to select “More”
• With “Views” selected we now have the option to add any combination of Time or Frequency based viewports using the “Add view” Scope or FFT buttons
Image 6
Image 6
• Click on “FFT” within the Views panel to add a Frequency based viewport to accompany the existing Time based viewport (See image below)
Image 7
Image 7
Note above how the viewport tab (Spectrum 1) is coloured with a bold blue background. This indicates which of your displayed viewports are “active” and allows for adjustments to the viewport settings. (Clicking anywhere on the graph within your chosen viewport will activate the relevant controls for adjustments)

For example, notice above how Spectrum 1 viewport is highlighted bold blue and the FFT control is displayed. Here we can make adjustments to the FFT settings associated with Spectrum 1 viewport

Below we have Scope 1 viewport active (highlighted bold blue) and so adjustments can be made to the time base settings
Image 8
Image 8
Multiple viewports can be arranged in rows or columns and dragged to a location of choice as described here viewtopic.php?p=99874#p99874

The following video will help clarify the features described above:
SPECTRUM VIDEO.mp4
Spectrum video
(10.95 MiB) Downloaded 441 times
Feedback on the design and function of Spectrum mode would be most welcome

Bug fixes

Improvements to the stability of the serial decode table
Improvements to the appearance of the serial decode table for Mac users
Reduction in delays when toggling during “Show/Hide” operation of displayed channels
Improvements to the stability of PS7 when selecting “Views per channel”

Steve Smith
Pico Staff Member
Pico Staff Member

Post by Steve Smith »

PicoScope 7 version 7.0.69.7912 (scheduled release date 30-03-21)

Collection Time, Time Gate and Bin Width added to FFT options

Further to the introduction of Spectrum mode in our previous build of PicoScope 7 (7.0.68 above) Collection Time, Time Gate and Bin Width values have been added to the “Frequency & Bins” tabs for current spectrum settings (not captured data)

Note the FFT control button contains a summary of the current FFT settings such as Range, Bin Count & Sample rate
• Click on the “Range” or “Bins” tab to select the desired frequency range or bin count
• Note, the “Range & Bins” tabs now include additional information in the form of:

1. Bin width, which defines the frequency resolution of the FFT and is derived by the frequency span (250 kHz below) divided by the bin count (16384 below) = 15.3 Hz

2. Collection time, which defines the time taken to capture each waveform into the buffer. In the example below, the Collection time has exceeded 2 seconds and so is displayed red, accompanied with further information. (Amending the current FFT settings will reduce the collection time)

3. Time Gate, defines the portion of the Scope view used to create the Spectrum data (starting from the beginning of the scope waveform) which may not be the entire time of the waveform, instead just using a portion.

N.B. If both Collection time and Time gate are of the same value, only Collection time is displayed
Image 1
Image 1
Feedback on the design and function of the FFT settings display would be most welcome

Sample interval

Sample interval is now displayed at the bottom of the Timebase tab for current settings (not captured data)
• With Scope mode selected (Time based instrument) click on the Time base and Sample control button
• The Timebase tab is now displayed along with the current time base setting which now includes the Sample interval
• The Sample interval defines the time span between samples and is derived from the Sample rate (below 500 kS/s) using 1/×
E.g., 1 / 500,000 = 0.000002 sec or 2 µs Sample interval
Image 2
Image 2
Feedback on the design and function of the Sample interval display would be most welcome

New features added to PicoDiagnostics NVH

Downloading PicoScope 7 version 7.0.69.7912 will now include PicoDiagnostics (PD) software version 1.16.0.5818
PD Version 1.16.0.5818 does not replace your existing PicoDiagnostics version 1.16.0.5247 which is downloaded with the current generic version of PicoScope 6 Automotive (6.14.25.5247).
Both these versions of PicoDiagnostics (1.16.0.5818 & 1.16.0.5247) will be installed on your PC if you have/use PS6
N.B Your existing Desktop icon for PicoDiagnostics will however launch the new version of PD (1.16.0.5818)

M&S Hot keys

• With NVH recording or playing back data, pressing the “M” Key on your keyboard will instantly place a marker in the signal history
• With NVH recording, pressing the “S” key on your keyboard will instantly save the current data to your previously saved location

ATFX Export

PD version 1.16.0.5818 now includes the option to export recorded data in ATFX format
ATFX is a cross platform data format used by numerous NVH engineers across the world. Such a format is typical used in the research and development field cross all design projects and for deeper analysis of vibration and sound recordings.
All recorded NVH data can therefore be exported in ATFX format for importing into analysis platforms such as LMS, Head Acoustics and National Instruments
• With data captured within NVH, click on File>Export
Image 3
Image 3
Note, when exporting and saving the data in ATFX format, 2 files will be saved (.AFTX & .bin) containing the entire NVH recording

NVH Setup now includes an “EV” option
NVH Setup now includes the option to select “EV” when connecting to an Electric Vehicle in order to obtain Road speed

Given EV’s are considered near zero emission vehicles, they no longer have to provide emission related data at the OBD socket (unlike ICE vehicles) As a result, obtaining road speed via the OBD socket may no longer be possible with a variety of EV’s

As a result, we are working with a number of VM’s to provide a means to obtain road speed (as a minimum) at the OBD socket.

At this stage we have a number of EV’s covered and will continue to add more as development continues

• When connecting to an Electric vehicle to record NVH data click on the NVH button
• Select “Start a new test” and click on the EV radio button along with J2534
• NVH will now attempt to connect to your EV in order to obtain road speed via the OBD socket
Image 4
Image 4
Bug fixes

Improvements to the functionality and display of FFT measurements
Improvements to the loading of saved spectrum files

On the horizon

Thanks to the relentless hard work of Ben Martins, we can all look forward to a J1939 serial decoder where by the decode table will contain human readable data. (More to follow on this very soon)

For an insight into J1939, see Ben’s post here viewtopic.php?p=100596#p100596