Identifying Piezo vs Solenoid Injectors

If you are not a PicoScope user and want advice with a diagnostic problem then post here. Forum members may be able to help.
TanScan

Identifying Piezo vs Solenoid Injectors

Post by TanScan »

Hey there

I was looking to see if there are some tips on how you can identify a Piezo injector vs a Solenoid injector before scoping?

Are there visual ways to identify or is it just researching the specs of the engine?

For both petrol and diesel.

Thanks in advance for any help.

liviu2004
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Re: Identifying Piezo vs Solenoid Injectors

Post by liviu2004 »

I think 2 vs 4 wire? I am not 100% sure.

seafordmotors
OneWave
OneWave

Post by seafordmotors »

No not really. You need to identify by having the correct specification before scoping

Iver
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by Iver »

Throw an amp clamp around the wire and you should be able to identify what you have.

Jmdiag

Post by Jmdiag »

I would have thought the part number on the injector would give you a fair indication, as far as I'm aware bosch piezo are numbers 0445115, 0445116 or 0445117. Not always easy to see part numbers though

TanScan

Post by TanScan »

Thanks for the help guys, I've seen it mentioned that the leak back is a good indicator as Piezo injectors often have leak back going sideways rather than upwards would you say that is a good indicator?

Iver
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by Iver »

TanScan wrote:
Mon Oct 12, 2020 7:34 am
Thanks for the help guys, I've seen it mentioned that the leak back is a good indicator as Piezo injectors often have leak back going sideways rather than upwards would you say that is a good indicator?
No !!

diagel

Post by diagel »

Check the resistance on the pins in the electromagnetic it will be a pair of ohms

taho

Post by taho »

TanScan wrote:
Mon Sep 21, 2020 2:58 am
Are there visual ways to identify or is it just researching the specs of the engine?
Hello. For a Bosch piezo injector, diesel fuel is supplied from above, and for an electromagnetic one from the side. And for an electromagnetic injector, there is usually an outlet for fuel backflow from the center of the electromagnet. The photo shows a Bosch piezo injector.
Attachments
fors_0445116076_.jpg
fors_0445116076_.jpg (20.51 KiB) Viewed 15073 times