Ranger 3.2 Relative compression waveform

Ask for and share advice on using the PicoScope kit to fix vehicles here.
Burt_100
OneWave
OneWave

Ranger 3.2 Relative compression waveform

Post by Burt_100 »

I have a 2016 3.2tdci Ford Ranger that is pressurising the coolant bottle, I have taken the attached Relative Compression waveform but I am unsure if it is enough to suggest there is an issue, Has anyone any advice that you could offer on this?
Attachments
Ranger RC.psdata
(5.34 MiB) Downloaded 431 times
200906_CompressionTest_001.pddata
(71.12 KiB) Downloaded 505 times

seafordmotors
OneWave
OneWave

Re: Ranger 3.2 Relative compression waveform

Post by seafordmotors »

Hi Burt,

I f you sync your waveform with the firing order 1-2-4-5-3 you could have a head gasket leak on cyl 2 -3

This would be confirmed by the uploaded form with diagnostic software.

Normally there are rarely issues with head gaskets on diesel engine these days. Almost always there is a

primary reason which leads to coolant loss and subsequent overheating and head gasket failure.

How bad is the pressure build up? Is the engine still running/starting correct? No noises { piston slap} ?

Can you perform a pressure test with WPS on the coolant expansion bottle? { Pressure pulse under load}

Burt_100
OneWave
OneWave

Re: Ranger 3.2 Relative compression waveform

Post by Burt_100 »

Hi Unfortunetly I dont have a wps to check coolant pressure but I put a mechanical gauge on it it goes around the clock within roughly 5 secs even when started from cold, the source of the coolant loss was due to a failed egr coolant pipe which has since been rectified, The sync in the waveform is for cyl 1 injector, The test would suggest blowing between 2 cylinders but the actual engine is blowing into the coolant jacket, would there be any other tests I could do to confirm?