PicoScope 7 Automotive Software

Ask any questions about using the new PicoScope 7 Automotive software here.
Iver
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Re: PicoScope 7 Automotive Software

Post by Iver »

Jose

We may have to agree to disagree here.
I would guess that many mobile diagnosticians use touch-screens, and the larger buttons make it a lot easier to use with fat fingers.

I do some mobile work too however nothing is worse than a Screen covered in greasy fingerprints. I too use a toughbook with a keyboard. Touch screen will probably be Ok in a clean laboratory not working on used cars ?
The "invert", in the channel options is a nice, long-awaited feature, too!

The Invert feature has been around for about 15 years (I think). Well a long time anyway.
I especially like the size and redesign of the start/stop button.
Not as big and easy as the Spacebar.

I do agree that all things technology have to move on, which can only be a good thing. However P7 does need to improve in some ways and feedback from seasoned users can only be a positive thing.

Knowing Pico we can be sure they will get it where it needs to be, and that has to be superior to Pico 6.

In a nutshell the Scope is an instrument that converts something the "eye" cannot see into something the "eye" can see. Surely it should follow that the more we see on one screen the better armed we are to make the correct diagnostic decisions ??
Last edited by Iver on Mon Mar 09, 2020 9:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

josegumby
OneWave
OneWave

Post by josegumby »

My tablet only comes with the onscreen keyboard, so I'm happy to have a bigger onscreen stop button. The invert has been available as a math channel, but to my knowledge, not directly as a channel option as it appears in picoscope 7.

Have a great day!
Curt

MachOne

Post by MachOne »

Pen support is still broken.

Now i can grab things in the scope window with the pen, like a trigger yellow dot. But as soon as you move it say a quarter inch with the pen, the pen loses its lock on the trigger dot, and the mouse/touchpad locks to it. Moving the pen does nothing, but moving the mouse or touchpad, even without a click, will immediately move the trigger dot.

martinr
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by martinr »

Iver,

"The Invert feature has been around for about 15 years (I think)."

I was recently looking for a quick way to invert - other than through Maths Channels - and I've looked again now and still can't find it - nothing in the User Manual either. (I thought there was one, and now I think I got muddled with the invert button on my Fluke 'scope.) Can you point me to it?

"However P7 does need to improve in some ways and feedback from seasoned users can only be a positive thing. Knowing Pico we can be sure they will get it where it needs to be, and that has to be superior to Pico 6."

I think I know what you mean here. When I saw the very first P7 Beta version some months ago, I was very impressed. It made me aware of the potential for modernising the look of P6. This is now the third Beta version I've seen, and there are some welcome improvements, but clearly there's a very long way to go, and I get the impression this is not just a new skin on P6 - more like a major re-write. And I'm sure, like you say, the finished product will be up to Pico's usual high standards. But it's also made me even more aware of just how good P6 is. I think if I had given the brief to the software team it would have been something like, "Go and write PicoScope 7, make it better than PicoScope 6, but make sure every single feature that is in P6 appears in P7, without exception."

As an insurance policy, I've been saving copies of PicoScope 6 just in case I'm not ready to move over to P7 when the final version is released, and I don't expect to see that for at least a year.

Steve Smith
Pico Staff Member
Pico Staff Member

Post by Steve Smith »

Once again thank you to the software teams for the latest version of PicoScope 7 version 7.0.46.5424

Math channels

• Click on the More button in the left-hand tool panel to reveal all the available options for PicoScope 7
• Click on the Math Channel button to open the Math Channel Wizard
Note: Clicking on the “Star” symbol to the left of the math channel symbol will place the math channel button in the left-hand tool panel where it will remain ready for use without having to select More
• With the math channel wizard open, create the formula required.
In the video below we create a negative duty cycle math channel for Channel F
• Click Next and select the units and colour required for your math channel
Here we now have a multitude of colours to choose from or create your own.
• Click Next and select the range required for your math channel (here we have 0..100%) and then click finish.

The math channel will then appear in the graph view and also indicated above the left-hand tool panel where you can edit or remove the math channel if required.
Math Channel
Math Channel
The following video will help clarify the process above:
Math Channel Colour.mp4
Math Channel/ Colour/Edit
(5.01 MiB) Downloaded 528 times
Feedback on the design and function of the Math Channel features would be most welcome
Click on More > Send Feedback within the software

I hope this helps, take care.....Steve

Steve Smith
Pico Staff Member
Pico Staff Member

Post by Steve Smith »

Thank you all for the continued feedback that we receive via the forum and within the PS7 software itself.
(Click More>Send Feedback)

Most certainly everything is documented and triaged accordingly with the main focus being parity between PS6 and PS7

Please find below a very quick tour of PS7 as it stands today but as we all know, the software is evolving and improving at a tremendous rate.
N.B Vehicle Details and Channel Labels are included within this video:
PS7 QUICK TOUR.mp4
PS7 Quick Tour
(9.76 MiB) Downloaded 412 times
I hope this helps, take care....Steve

Steve Smith
Pico Staff Member
Pico Staff Member

Post by Steve Smith »

Thank you once again as ever to the software team for their hard work and dedication with PS7

The latest version of PS7 (7.0.47) can be found here

Vehicle Details and Channel Labels

• Click on the Save button to reveal the new Save options, Vehicle details and Channel labels
Image 1A
Image 1A
Feedback on the design and function of the Save options, Vehicle Details & Channel Labels window would be most welcome.

I hope this helps, take care.....Steve

Technician
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by Technician »

Totally failed in operation today PS 7. I repeatedly tried the repair function but each time the repair was carried out, the result said it was successful but opened some type of other software, a type of virus checking software that instructed me to download from the internet for about $39. I knew Pico would never do such a thing to us so I ignored it and removed PS 7 from my PC and then reinstalled it. Tried it and all working as normal again. :D

Steve Smith
Pico Staff Member
Pico Staff Member

Post by Steve Smith »

Thank you once again to the software teams involved with the creation and continued development of PicoScope 7.

The latest version (7.0.50.5968) can be found here here

PicoScope 7 “Settings” to become independent of PicoScope 6

PicoScope 7 will no longer share settings with PicoScope 6 so as to streamline the future development of PicoScope 7

What will this mean for existing users of PicoScope 7?

The main issue will be that the user settings will be returned to default, therefore upon installation of the above version of PS7 customers may notice the following:

• Any favourited tools in the left side panel will return to default
• Language will revert to English
• Allow Analytics setting reset
• “Don’t show again” check boxes for dialogs will appear again and have to be ticked if they are not required
• Window not maximised on start-up if maximised when previously closed (First use only)
• Landscape/portrait printing last used setting when opening print
• Last used save directory will reset to default waveforms folder

Feedback on the installation of 7.0.50.5968 with regards to “settings” would be most welcome

Connect Detect

• Click on the More button in the left-hand tool panel to reveal all the available options for PicoScope 7
• Click on the Connect Detect button to activate the Connect Detect feature (4x25 & 4x25A models only)
• Note: Clicking on the “Star” symbol to the left of the Connect Detect symbol will place the math channel button in the left-hand tool panel where it will remain ready for use without having to select More
• With Connect Detect active PicoScope 4x25 & 4x25A models can display the status of your x1 test lead connection to the component
• In the example below we have a BNC+ x1 test lead connected to Channel A, and standard x1 BNC test leads connected to Channels C & D.
• Channels A & D are successfully connected to a component where the Connect Detect viewport indicates Green to confirm a good connection to the item under test
• Channel C test lead connection indicates Red informing of no connection to the component under test
• Channel B indicates Grey informing Connect Detect is not applicable to the BNC+ 2000 A current clamp connected
• The Connect Detect viewport can be relocated to another location/monitor by clicking on the viewport tab and dragging the viewport to your desired location
Connect Detect
Connect Detect
Feedback on the function and operation of Connect Detect would be most welcome

Improvements to Math Channel Wizard

• Click on the Math Channel button to open the Math Channel Wizard
Note: Clicking on the “Star” symbol to the left of the math channel symbol will place the math channel button in the left-hand tool panel where it will remain ready for use without having to select More
• With the math channel wizard open, create the formula required.
See video here
• Click Next and select the units and colour required for your math channel
Here we now have the option to select SI Units (International System of Units)
• Click Next and select the range required for your math channel and then click finish. (see example below)
SI Units
SI Units
Feedback on the design and function of the Math Channel features would be most welcome

Channel labels in Graph view

• Click on the Channel labels button to display the Channel labels with the graph view
Note: Clicking on the “Star” symbol to the left of the Channel labels symbol will place the Channel labels button in the left-hand tool panel where it will remain ready for use without having to select More
• With the channel Labels displayed in the graph view, clicking the drop-down arrow in the “Select label” field will reveal a multitude of possible channel labels. Alternatively, simply commence typing the name of your desired channel label where PicoScope 7 will present a number of suggestions
• Upon typing the name of your channel label, if there are no suggestions that match, clicking on the + symbol will allow you to add your unique channel label to the list of existing channel labels. Here your suggestion will be saved for future labelling
• Unique channel labels can be removed by typing the name of your channel label and clicking on the – symbol
• The Channel label viewport can be relocated to another location/monitor by clicking on the viewport tab and dragging the viewport to your desired location
Channel label
Channel label
Add/Remove Channel label
Add/Remove Channel label
CHANNEL LABELS.mp4
Channel label video
(1.78 MiB) Downloaded 342 times
Feedback on the design and function of the Channel label feature would be most welcome

Auto Arrange Axis

• Click on the Views button in the left-hand tool panel to open the Viewport Control Panel
• Within the Viewport Control Panel, we have the options to “Auto arrange” the axis layout
• Click on “Auto arrange” to alphabetically order all active channels
• Each channel is now clearly visible thanks to the automatic scaling and positioning
• To restore the capture to the original scaling click on “Reset” within the Viewport Control Panel (See image below)
Auto Arrange Axis
Auto Arrange Axis

Auto Arrange Axis.mp4
Auto Arrange Axis video
(2.11 MiB) Downloaded 317 times

Feedback on the design and function of the Auto arrange feature would be most welcome

Graph Tool Tip

• A Graph tool tip is now available when placing your mouse pointer or stylus (touch screen) at a location of interest within the graph view and left clicking the mouse or holding the stylus position
• The Graph tool tip will reveal the precise time and values displayed for each active channel
relevant to the position of your pointer
• Holding down the left click button of the mouse or dragging the stylus across the graph will update the tool tip relevant to the new position of your pointer
Graph Tool Tip
Graph Tool Tip
GRAPH TOOL TIP.mp4
Graph Tool Tip video
(797.98 KiB) Downloaded 325 times
Feedback on the design and function of the Graph tool tip would be most welcome

Thank you once again to the software teams involved in the development of this awesome software

Technician
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by Technician »

I used pico 6 today to carryout some testing to an engine using the WPS. I used PS 6 because at the moment I'm more familiar with the layout and can find my way round it easier. That said, when I saved the files using PS 6 the software has defaulted to PS 7 when they have been saved. When I opened the file(s) each one opened in PS 7, which was not what I expected. Studying the onscreen data I thought well I'm just going to have to get used to PS 7 and fast. After saving and analyzing the wave-forms I tried to print out a screen shot, and this is where I've got problems. I positioned all the rulers on the trace to record pressures and degrees of rotation etc. The rulers legend is onscreen as expected and the zoom legend is also onscreen as expected. I thought I'll take a print of the screen. Using the print function at the top of the screen the printer would not acknowledge the demand for printing. I double checked the printer properties and ensured that the printer is recognized and checked the ensure that PS 7 could see my printer, which is seems to, so then after clicking on it in PS 7 to ensure that PS 7 had selected my printer I then depressed the print function and nothing happens!!

I decided using PS 7 to convert the file to a PDF and then see if I could print it, which initially I could not. Looking deeper into the problem I found that when using PS 7 the printer function defaults to auto select and does not recognize "Tray 1", which must be manually selected each time a print function is carried out. After printing what is onscreen I find that the zoom function legend and ruler legend are not shown on the printed screen preview nor on the paper copy of the file printed.

Why would anyone want to or need to have a printed version of the zoom legend?
Why technicians would want a printed copy of the ruler legend I hope is self explanatory.

When we save a file we can add details etc, and then choose where we want to save the file on our pc's. When we open a saved file, looking at the top tool bar in the upper header you can see the name of the saved file, however, when printed, there is no record of what the printed trace refers to! So I print several copies of files from various vehicles and then pick them all out the printer tray only to find that I can't establish which scope trace refers to which cylinder or vehicle I have just tested?

On PS 6 we used to have a lower tool bar that allowed us to record file names etc to show what the trace was referring to, but I can't see that facility on PS 7?

If this has been removed, edited or moved somewhere, could someone please advise where to look?