2009 BMW x5 E70 CAN bus trouble

If you are not a PicoScope user and want advice with a diagnostic problem then post here. Forum members may be able to help.
sky-chicken

2009 BMW x5 E70 CAN bus trouble

Post by sky-chicken »

My E70 X5 developed CAN trouble. When driving around the left headlight is flickering and the wipers go ip and down when lights turned on. When lights in driving mode with engel eyes on they move slowly to the middle. Sometimes the horn turns on for 1-3 minutes. Driving by night is impossible because of the flashing driver-side lights. I have to drive with engel eyes on only.
Sometimes the active suspension shows malfunction. I really don't know where to start the diagnostics on this car. Any advise?

liviu2004
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Re: 2009 BMW x5 E70 CAN bus trouble

Post by liviu2004 »

Do you have access to tools, diagnostic data, software and wiring diagrams?

sky-chicken

Post by sky-chicken »

Yes, i have the latest ICOM FLEX and pico 4425. The problem is in the network CAAn wire for sure. The BMW E70 modules are well stowed away and i hate the idea to dissemble the car to find one cable. I was hoping someone had a similar issue and found where the CAN wire was defective. I think footwell module to next module because left lights, horn, wiper and active suspension is affected

ronw38
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by ronw38 »

Hi Sky chicken
You have answered Liviu's question re tools, wiring diagrams and basic diagnostic skills follow, silver bullet fixes are rare. Scan for com codes, pick an accessible module, scope can signals, being a BMW I would start in the trunk [water intrusion] check powers and grounds, activate the faulty circuits, monitor can signals, unplug modules to isolate the fault, 5 minute fixes are more rare than silver bullets. I wish I had the answer Cheers Ron W