High voltage cable testing

Ask for and share advice on using the PicoScope kit to fix Electric Vehicles
Littlejohn
OneWave
OneWave

High voltage cable testing

Post by Littlejohn »

Hi all. I have a Jeep renegade hybrid with a P1D72 DTC, high voltage cable open circuit. Flow chart for this is check the cables are connected and if no fault found fire the parts cannon at it. Scan too doesn’t tell you what cable it thinks is open. Can’t believe I am going to have to throw parts at this and hope it fixes it. Does anyone have a test method to narrow this down?

Grant_Baker
OneWave
OneWave

Re: High voltage cable testing

Post by Grant_Baker »

What is the history of the vehicle? Recent auction purchase? Recent body shop visit? Since when does it set this DTC? What symptom is the concern? Since this is a 2020 or 2021 year model plug-in hybrid, consider the external HV charge cable as the cause of the DTC. Do you have the ability to plug-in to a known good compatible charge station?

Grant_Baker
OneWave
OneWave

Post by Grant_Baker »

Sorry Mr Littlejohn, I just read your previous post stating you work as a field engineer for Jeep.

I did find that this model can be fully charged in 5 hours at a "standard household outlet"; or, you can charge it in 2 hours with an at-home charging station purchased separately (Jeep brand accessory?). Perhaps incorrect or faulty household wiring can cause this DTC. Or something as simple as not fully closing the charge port door. Have you been able to reproduce the DTC in a known good outlet?

Shipping damage?:
https://www.pacificaforums.com/threads/ ... ble.47599/

ben.martins
Pico Staff Member
Pico Staff Member

Post by ben.martins »

Hi Littlejohn,

It's tricky to offer advice for high voltage testing on a public forum due to the dangers and risks involved.

Could I ask you to email into support@picotech.com and we can support you directly.

Kind regards

Ben

Technician
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by Technician »

According to the link the complaint is a good few months old and it seems the fault has been fixed. Terminal damage/diconnection due to shipment movement with fork lift.

Littlejohn
OneWave
OneWave

Post by Littlejohn »

Thank you all, no history to the vehicle and both batteries charge up ok. DTC is active all the time and the vehicle doesn’t start. I have something to work with now, hope to get to the bottom of it soon.