Repeated crashes Crank (A,36) idle

Ask any questions about using the new PicoScope 7 Automotive software here.
picowight
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Repeated crashes Crank (A,36) idle

Post by picowight »

... on the Windows production version - 7.0.93.11854 . After the 3rd crash I turned off everything except the crank signal and it still crashed.
Not sure if the report went, as on customer site with internet via phone.
Just checked it even crashes with Crank (A,36) when applied to the the saved file (attached),
Attachments
20220817-0018.psdata
(27.8 MiB) Downloaded 169 times

ben.martins
Pico Staff Member
Pico Staff Member

Re: Repeated crashes Crank (A,36) idle

Post by ben.martins »

Thanks for the heads up picowight.

I can assure you that the software team are actively working on crash reports along with hopeful fixes. As the early access builds come out more frequently can I ask you try the latest builds to keep on eye on any fix that may have happen and let us know? I've just tried it in the latest PS7 EA and not had a crash.
crank(A,36).png
One thing to note is that this was in demo mode with no scope connected. Please keep us posted please picowight.

Kind regards

Ben

picowight
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by picowight »

To be honest I use the production version in the field (as I do mobile diagnostics, sometimes literally in a field), every day fixing cars/vans/coaches/trams/tractors.. I value stability over the latest tweak so I assume I should be using the latest stable version rather than the EA/test versions.
Will there be a move to bug fixes released as minor updates to the production version and the enhancements released as periodic program upgrades when thoroughly tested (unlike the Windows updates that break something that was previously working !)

Steve Smith
Pico Staff Member
Pico Staff Member

Post by Steve Smith »

Hello and thank you for the posts/feedback

The "bug fixes released as minor updates" suggestion was raised with the software team thanks to feedback here topic22988.html

Unfortunately this would be complex and involve a major change to our builds and deployment mechanisms at present

With that said, the suggestion has not been deleted but "parked" for future discussions

Just to reiterate Ben's comments above, the teams are working tirelessly to resolve bugs, and improve the performance and stability of PS7 as we are more than aware how essential reliable test equipment & results are to a conclusive diagnosis

I hope this helps, take care.....Steve

kisityu

Post by kisityu »

Hello!

Sorry my bad English.
This "crank(A,36) "don't work it.
However "crank(A;36)" work it.
So not "," but also";" required.
My OS: Kubuntu 20.04
PS7: 7.0.93.11854

picowight
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by picowight »

Hi
Still having the same crash issue using the Crank command - though I think it may have returned having gone away. It was repeatable on Windows on the saved file, but worked OK on my Linux desktop with the EA installed. Frequency (A) worked OK but not as good obviously.

It is one of the most useful and powerful and useful maths channels so it would be great if it worked!

Steve Smith
Pico Staff Member
Pico Staff Member

Post by Steve Smith »

Hello and thank you for the posts and certainly agree how useful crank math's is

Kisityu, the regional issue surrounding the use of "commas" "," should be resolved in the 7.0.109 EA build here

Could you try this if possible here https://www.picoauto.com/downloads

Picowight, could you post the waveform you are experiencing the crash with and I will test it here

Given the EA version on Linux worked OK, could you try EA on Windows too.

Thank you all again for the feedback, take care......Steve

picowight
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by picowight »

Confirmed still crashing on Windows with Crank,60, saved just the 1 screen to keep size down.
Actually P7 crashed the moment I opened it on Windows - though Windows just did an update so it has probably broken something - as if that never happens :roll:
Pico 7.0.93.11854
Win 10 pro 10.0.19044
Attachments
20221022-0001 crash test.psdata
(13.24 MiB) Downloaded 125 times

Steve Smith
Pico Staff Member
Pico Staff Member

Post by Steve Smith »

Thank you for the feedback picowight

I can reproduce the crash in build 7.0.93.11854

Early access 7.0.111.12852 and ironically 7.0.93.10998 stable will allow for the creation of crank math's with no crash

I have informed the software team and this will be resolved ASAP

Take care.....Steve

picowight
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by picowight »

Ahh so it did get better then break again - thought it was my imagination!

Downloaded EA for the Windows machine and yes it works on that.
Now if I could just get the WFL back on my Linux machine ... :D