PicoScope 7 Automotive Software

Ask any questions about using the new PicoScope 7 Automotive software here.
picowight
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Re: PicoScope 7 Automotive Software

Post by picowight »

has the Linux repository changed for the EA as update is not being picked up.

ben.martins
Pico Staff Member
Pico Staff Member

Post by ben.martins »

Hello picowight,

Which version of Linux are you using? I've just updated PS7 Auto on Ubuntu 20.4 without any issues.

Kind regards

Ben

picowight
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by picowight »

Mint 20.2
I assume if there is an update it will get picked up by the update manager, additional sources:
deb https://labs.picotech.com/picoscope7auto/debian/ picoscope main
----------------------
Edit
checked on the download page and modified my source to
https://labs.picotech.com/rc/picoscope7auto/debian/ picoscope main
it auto updated after that.
Last edited by picowight on Thu Aug 26, 2021 11:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Steve Smith
Pico Staff Member
Pico Staff Member

Post by Steve Smith »

Thank you once again to the software teams for their continued dedication to the development of PicoScope 7 Automotive Early Access which can be downloaded here https://oem.picoauto.com/p7beta/download

PicoScope 7 version 7.0.80.9087 Early Access to be released 27/08/21

New Features

Beta Reference Waveform Library (RWL) upload

PicoScope 7 Early Access will now enable uploads of captured waveforms to the beta Reference Waveform Library (RWL)

• Prior to accessing the waveform library, please ensure your PC/Laptop has an active internet connection
• With an Automotive PicoScope connected and the relevant data captured on screen, select “Save” to reveal the “Vehicle Details” dialog box
• Fill out the relevant “Vehicle Details”; note: “fields” marked with an Asterix (*) are required to be populated before a waveform can be uploaded to the RWL. (i.e., Make / Model etc.)
• Once all the relevant details have been entered click on the “Save & Upload” button
• The captured waveform will now be saved to your PC/Laptop whilst also uploaded to the RWL
Image 1
Image 1
• When uploading a waveform, if you are not already logged into the RWL, a prompt will appear when clicking on “Save & Upload” allowing you to login without having to navigate away from the “Save” dialog box
Image 2
Image 2
• Once all data and login details are complete, confirmation of a successful waveform library upload is displayed to the user
Image 3
Image 3
N.B. Waveforms uploaded to the beta RWL from within PicoScope 7 will not be displayed for approx. 24 hours after upload. (This includes the “My Waveforms” section of the RWL)

To immediately view waveforms uploaded to the RWL from within PicoScope 7 please use PicoScope 6 Automotive in the interim

Bug fixes

• Resolve stability of auto complete feature of “Vehicle details” using Linux
• Resolve application of trigger settings when using Guided Test settings file
• Resolve stability of PicoScope 7 after selecting “Reset Configuration” to prevent freezing/crashing
• Improve alignment/operational issues with Touch screen devices when using free hand drawing tool of the AWG
• Resolve crash when using the beta AWG with PicoScope 4823

I hope this helps, take care……Steve

Steve Smith
Pico Staff Member
Pico Staff Member

Post by Steve Smith »

Thank you once again to the software teams for their continued dedication to the development of PicoScope 7 Automotive Early Access which can be downloaded here https://oem.picoauto.com/p7beta/download

PS7 Auto Early Access 7.0.81.9147 will be scheduled for release WC 13/09/21

New features

AWG "From Channel & "Bit stream" options

The beta Arbitrary waveform generator (AWG) has now gained a number of new features which can be used with PicoScope 4823

Following on from these beta AWG forum posts viewtopic.php?p=101934#p101934 , viewtopic.php?p=102053#p102053 & viewtopic.php?p=102264#p102264 clicking on the Arbitrary (AWG) button will reveal the AWG dialog box where “From channel” & “Bit stream” options are now available for selection

Prior to following the items below, ensure a waveform is loaded and present within the graph view

• With PicoScope 4823 connected note how the Signal generator controls are displayed beneath the channel option buttons
Please note when clicking on the signal generator controls, we are presented with a caution window explaining that the signal generator is under development at present (Select “Yes” to continue)
• The Signal generator control panel dialog box will now open
Image1
Image1
• Click on the Arbitrary (AWG) button to open the AWG dialog box
• Click on the “From channel” button to reveal the channels which can be imported for duplication by the signal generator
Image 2
Image 2
• Select the channel required for duplication by the signal generator, click on “Apply” & switch on the signal generator. Below we are going to duplicate the camshaft sensor signal on (Channel B) and place this onto Channel A
Image 3
Image 3
• Run PicoScope and amend the signal generator settings (Frequency, Amplitude & Offset) whilst adjusting the input range of channel A to match the signal generator output

Below we have amended the signal generator frequency to 1 Hz @ 2 V amplitude whilst changing the input range of channel A to +- 5V to reveal the duplicated camshaft waveform
Image 5
Image 5
• In addition to the “From channel” option we have the “Bit stream” button
• Following the procedure above, instead of selecting “From channel” click on the “Bit stream” button
• Add the bit stream formation required based on either a binary or Hex entry
• Below we have opted for a simple 010 binary formation (Hex 2) however the complexity of your entry can increase as required
Image 6
Image 6
• Below we have created a Bit stream waveform using binary 0011110011110010001011111110 (Hex 3CF22FE)
Image 7
Image 7

The following video will help clarify the procedures above:
AWG.mp4
Video 1
(9.14 MiB) Downloaded 171 times
Feedback on the design and function of the beta AWG features would be most welcome
Click on More > Send Feedback within the software

Bug fixes

• Improved handling of language settings within RWL
• Improved handling of high-speed “time” entries into pulse width trigger settings
• DC offset applied to a capture and saved, is reapplied upon opening

No longer on the horizon but nearly on the shore!

Thanks to an immense team effort over a number of years, watch out for the imminent arrival of PicoScope 7 Automotive stable version 7.0.80

Please note:
• The stable version of PicoScope 7 Automotive software can be installed alongside PicoScope 7 Automotive Early Access (i.e., you can have both version on one PC)
• Please consider the Stable and Early Access versions as entirely different software packages
• Please consider the Stable version an entirely new software package (“fresh out of the box”)
• PicoScope 7 Stable may be bundled with a different version of Pico Diagnostics by comparison to Early Access
• User will be notified of updates when using the relevant software. I.e., a notification of an update when using Early Access applies only to Early Access, not the Stable version (and vice-versa)
• The Stable and Early Access versions do not share any settings such as;
i) Preferences
ii) Favorited tools
iii) Math channels
iv) Reference waveforms
v) Start up settings
vi) Recent psdata files

The arrival of the Stable version will allow users to reconfigure or fine tune PS7 Stable differently based on the experience or perhaps mistakes made whilst using Early Access. Consider “Stable” as a “clean sheet” and Early Access as your experimental scope package

Thank you to all who have contributed over the years, PS7 will forever improve and we will continue to add new items here, on the website, in the newsletter and within the software itself.

I can say with hand on heart PicoScope 7 Automotive Stable is where it is because of you and your continued feedback which has been handed directly to the software teams and implemented accordingly

Together we have created something very special indeed

I hope this helps, take care…..Steve

picowight
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by picowight »

Is zoom on mouse wheel planned? I constantly find myself doing it and wishing it was there ! Usually implemented with the mouse pointer as the centre of the zoom.
(I did check the settings to see if it was an option)

Steve Smith
Pico Staff Member
Pico Staff Member

Post by Steve Smith »

Hello and thank you for the post

The mouse wheel zoom option is working within the Windows Platform (Exactly as you describe "implemented with the mouse pointer as the centre of the zoom.")

Could you indicate the PicoScope 7 build you are using and the type of operating system?

Take care.....Steve

picowight
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by picowight »

Hi Steve
Latest Ubuntu 20.04 version with a mouse, my windows version is on a touch screen.

Steve Smith
Pico Staff Member
Pico Staff Member

Post by Steve Smith »

Thank you once again to the software teams for their continued dedication to the development of PicoScope 7 Automotive Early Access which can be downloaded here https://www.picoauto.com/downloads

PS7 Auto Early Access 7.0.82.9227 will be scheduled for release WC 27/09/21

New features

The beta Arbitrary waveform generator (AWG) now includes additional “logic high & low” controls to accompany the Bit stream signal generator for use with PicoScope 4823

In addition to the “logic high & low” controls, the AWG will now allow math channels and reference waveforms to be selected when using the “From Channel” option

The following link describes the function and operation on the above AWG features viewtopic.php?p=102333#p102333

• With the Signal generator control panel dialog box open, click on the Arbitrary (AWG) button
• Click on the “From channel” button to reveal the channels which can be imported for duplication by the signal generator
Image 1
Image 1
When using the “Bit stream” option, the new “Logic high & low” controls are now visible for selection
Image 2
Image 2
• Below we have amended our constructed Bit stream signal such that logic high is lowered by 20% (to 80%) and logic ow is raised by 15 %
Image 3
Image 3
Feedback on the design and function of the beta AWG features would be most welcome

Bug fixes

Default file names:

When saving multiple captures, psdata files are given the default name in the following format:
Year, month, date & file number. E.g., 20210926-001
Year 2021
Month 09
Date 26
File number 001

PicoScope 7 Automotive Early Access will now automatically increment the file number for each saved file during every session of PicoScope to prevent duplicate file names and repeat warning messages such as “This file already exists. Do you want to replace it?”
Image 4
Image 4
Image 5
Image 5
Feedback on the design and functionality of the “Save” dialog box would be most welcome

I hope this helps, take care….Steve

Steve Smith
Pico Staff Member
Pico Staff Member

Post by Steve Smith »

Hello Picowight sorry for the late reply

Regarding the mouse zoom with Ubuntu 20.04, having spoken to the software team, this appears to be a limitation of Linux and "Smooth scroll" events, which GTK/Mono cannot read

The type of mouse would also appear to be a factor (reading through the feedback) but the consensus is that the wheel zoom feature will not function with most mice

There has been some success with "synergy/barrier" which permitted the use of windows mouse/keyboard with a Linux laptop but not sure this is an option for you?

I guess checking for updates to GTKSharp etc. would be worthy exploring too

I hope this is of some help, take care......Steve