Pico 7 for Linux

Ask any questions about using the new PicoScope 7 Automotive software here.
picowight
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Re: Pico 7 for Linux

Post by picowight »

So no hoard of zombies thankfully but on driver install it said "same version already installed" then trying to open the 6 file I got "file load integrity check failed" (with 4425A plugged in)
TBH I can get around it by loading 6 files in Win 10/Pico 7 on my diag laptop then sharing them with the Linux machine.
How soon after the Windows version does the Linux version update and what's the best way to keep it updated ?
Had some issues but no point in reporting if already fixed on Win release - Though I had a big one today trying to apply a maths channel to a reference waveform - locked up my PC to needing a hard re-boot that I have not needed to do in a year!

PicoCallum
Pico Staff Member
Pico Staff Member

Post by PicoCallum »

Typically we release builds for all 3 platforms simultaneously. Linux builds were delayed recently due to an issue on our internal servers which has now been rectified.

Additionally all versions should be released at the same time (when applicable). Stable Automotive (and we dont yet mark any T&M stables) will be less frequent but T&M and Automotive early access versions should go live at the same time, give or take 5 minutes. We aim to release Early Access builds once every 2 weeks. Stable builds are cherry picked on a less frequent basis.

Easiest way to remain up to date on linux is simply as part of your usual apt update && apt upgrade regime. You will automatically get the latest build for the relevant repository. Reminder:

Code: Select all

https://labs.picotech.com/rc/picoscope7/debian/
https://labs.picotech.com/picoscope7auto/debian/
https://labs.picotech.com/rc/picoscope7auto/debian/
In order these are the repositories for T&M Early Access, Automotive Stable, Automotive Early Access and you can edit your /etc/apt/sources.list.d/picoscope7.list according to which release stream you'd prefer.

The lockup issue, we are actively investigating and attempting to fix. You can recover the PC by killing the task from taskmanager, or using pkill on linux/mac.

picowight
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by picowight »

Thanks, good to know about the updates. I'll leave it on the automotive stable - I can wait for the driver issue to be hopefully rectified and use the work around I mentioned.

gbd8512

Post by gbd8512 »

hi there, is it possible to install picoauto on ubuntu 21.04 arm64 processor? ive tried to install it but it wont allow me to as it says arm not supported.

picowight
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by picowight »

Just installed the latest EA update and the desktop is going into full fan mode- nothing else running :
Screenshot from 2021-09-18 14-58-22.png
Not had any resource issues before

Tried to install stable but the repository given appears to be the same for the EA and I get "already installed"

Steve Smith
Pico Staff Member
Pico Staff Member

Post by Steve Smith »

Hello and thank you for the post

This is interesting indeed re CPU usage and something that has been raised with the software engineers on other platforms

Rest assured this will be investigated and any amendments shared accordingly.

Re the CPU 1 usage at 100% was this purely PicoScope in Demo mode or were any other applications running simultaneously?

The image suggests 100 % for approx. 10 seconds then reverting to similar values for CPU 2, 3, & 4

Could you indicate the full PS7 build/version number where you first noticed this issue and I will add this to a software report?

Take care.....Steve

picowight
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by picowight »

Hi
PicoScope PicoScope 7 Automotive Early Access - PC Oscilloscope software
version: 7.0.81.91627
Just pico in Demo as I had just re-booted the PC as the P7 update had not loaded into the menu, then I started system monitor when it started to ramp up the CPUs.

Any news on the Stable version for Ubuntu 20.4 ? the Download page still shows same repositories for both.

Early access:
sudo bash -c 'echo "deb https://labs.picotech.com/rc/picoscope7auto/debian/ picoscope main" >/etc/apt/sources.list.d/picoscope7.list'

Stable
sudo bash -c 'echo "deb https://labs.picotech.com/picoscope7auto/debian/ picoscope main" >/etc/apt/sources.list.d/picoscope7.list'

ben.martins
Pico Staff Member
Pico Staff Member

Post by ben.martins »

Hello picowight,

Thank you for picking this up. We had also noticed this on Friday and it should have been changed later that day. I have checked this morning and it is different.

This should now install the stable version of PicoScope 7 Automotive.

Thanks again.

Kind regards

Ben

ben.martins
Pico Staff Member
Pico Staff Member

Post by ben.martins »

Hello all,

For those using PS7 on Linux Ubuntu 20.4 the instructions on the website for installing the Stable build are now correct. If you have previously installed the Early Access build you will need to remove this before Stable can be installed.

In my case I then ran into some problems as detailed below -
error on Linux Stable install.png
After speaking to the software team I had to carry out the following in the terminal -

sudo rm -r /etc/apt/sources.list.d/*

sudo apt-get remove picoscope

sudo apt-get autoremove

This should remove all PicoScope dependencies and allow you to follow the install procedure for the stable build on the website -

wget -O - https://labs.picotech.com/Release.gpg.key | sudo apt-key add -

sudo bash -c 'echo "deb https://labs.picotech.com/picoscope7auto/debian/ picoscope main" >/etc/apt/sources.list.d/picoscope7.list'

sudo apt-get update

sudo apt-get install picoscope

I hope this helps and thanks to all users on Linux for their continued support and feedback for PicoScope 7 Automotive.

Kind regards

Ben

picowight
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by picowight »

Followed your instructions (Mint 20) to remove

But then it failed at install
The following packages have unmet dependencies.
picoscope : Depends: mono-complete but it is not installable
Depends: mono-mcs (>= 5.18.0) but it is not installable
Depends: gtk-sharp3 but it is not installable
Depends: fonts-roboto but it is not installable
Depends: libps3000 (= 4.0.71-3r2769) but 4.0.72-3r2905 is to be installed
Depends: libps4000 (= 2.1.71-2r2769) but 2.1.72-2r2905 is to be installed
Depends: libps4000a (= 2.1.71-2r2769) but 2.1.72-2r2905 is to be installed
E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.

Also caused the updater to have a hissy fit but unticking the pico repository and doing a revert to factory seemed to fix it.