PicoScope 7 Automotive Software

Ask any questions about using the new PicoScope 7 Automotive software here.
liviu2004
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Re: PicoScope 7 Automotive Software

Post by liviu2004 »

Looking forward to download 7.0.50. Not yet available.

Technician
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by Technician »

liviu2004 wrote:
Mon Jun 22, 2020 8:03 pm
Looking forward to download 7.0.50. Not yet available.
https://oem.picoauto.com/p7beta/download

Jfixmycar

Post by Jfixmycar »

Steve this post has made my day! Keep up the good work guys.

liviu2004
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by liviu2004 »

Thank you. By the time I looked there, 49 version was still the latest. Have you noticed that as well?

Technician
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by Technician »

I find it difficult to keep up as well.

PicoKev
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by PicoKev »

7.0.50 is live in the download area, accessible from the downloads tab at the top of the page. When you get there click on the beta tab and you are ready to go.
Bear in mind that it is still in beta and you may not find all the features that you are used to or would like are currently built in yet. 8)

Kev.

Technician
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by Technician »

Post by Technician » Mon Jun 22, 2020 7:49 pm

Just an update to the post I made above...

The print function does operate as normal on PS 7. I bought a new Windows 10 laptop a while back because of other problems experienced at the time. I downloaded PS 7 onto this laptop and that is when I noticed the print problem. The problem is a communication error between Windows 10 and my DELL printer, which is a driver issue.

I'm not sure about the other areas, i.e. zoom function and legend. It could just be that the software team have not finished it and that is why it does not print those two legends, unless anyone else can confirm they do print?

Steve Smith
Pico Staff Member
Pico Staff Member

Post by Steve Smith »

Thank you once again to the software teams for the continued improvements to PicoScope 7 Automotive software

Version 7.0.51.6093 focuses on a number of items behind the scenes that will ensure the stable development of PS7 as new features are included.

As a result, new user features are not included with this build, however subtle but effective modifications to the user interface have been introduced

Improvements to Save Lightbox

• Click on Save to open the Save Lightbox
• Choose your Folder path and File name
• Choose your File Type by clicking on the drop-down arrow to reveal your options
These include PS Data File (default), PS Settings File, Tab Delimited Text Document, CSV Document & PNG Image
File Type
File Type
Feedback on the design and functionality of the Save Lightbox would be most welcome
Click on More > Send Feedback within the software

Waveform selection notification

• Click on Save to open the Save Lightbox
• Choose your Folder path and File name
• File Type will default to PS Data File
• Choose the relevant Waveform selection
These include All, Current & Choose range
• Selecting “All” will reveal a text box that displays the range of waveforms captured
• Selecting “Current” will reveal a text box that displays the current waveform number displayed on screen
• Selecting “Choose range” will enable you to select a range of waveforms, e.g. waveforms 1 to 5 (enter 1-5) or selected waveforms, e.g. waveforms 1, 5 & 7 (enter 1, 5, 7)

Below all 44 waveforms will be saved (File size 53 MB)
All Waveforms
All Waveforms
Below only the currently displayed waveform (number 44) will be saved (File size 1 MB)
Current waveform
Current waveform
Below waveforms 1 to 5 of the 44 waveforms captured will be saved (File size 6 MB)
1 to 5
1 to 5
Below waveforms 1, 5 & 7 of the 44 waveforms captured will be saved (File size 4 MB)
1, 5, 7
1, 5, 7
Feedback on the design and functionality of the Waveform selection feature would be most welcome

Thank you once again to the software teams for their dedication to PicoScope 7

Steve Smith
Pico Staff Member
Pico Staff Member

Post by Steve Smith »

Probe Mismatch

“Ease of use” has always been one of the main driving factors behind PicoScope 7 and the new 4x25A Automotive scopes.

Probe Mismatch is one such feature that will enable users of the 4x25A scopes to connect the relevant BNC+ probes for the loaded file (saved using BNC+ probes) so ensuring your PicoScope is set up the correctly to replicate the loaded PicoScope data file. (PSdata file)

Below we have captured the secondary ignition event on the same cylinder using 4 channels of a 4425A scope with a mix of BNC+ and conventional BNC ignition probes. The file is then saved to the local PC/Laptop or uploaded to the Waveform Library
Why? Because we can, and to demonstrate Probe Mismatch

Channel A: BNC+ Secondary ignition pick up https://www.picoauto.com/products//igni ... ion-pickup
Channel B BNC+ COP Probe https://www.picoauto.com/products//igni ... gnal-probe
Channel C BNC Secondary ignition pick up https://www.picoauto.com/products//igni ... e-with-bnc
Channel D BNC COP Probe https://www.picoauto.com/products//igni ... gnal-probe

If I now load the file mentioned above with any automotive scope connected, the waveform will be displayed as normal (See below)
Image 1A
Image 1A
Prior to running the scope, I will need to manually configure the probes (for each channel) to match those used in the original capture if I wish to repeat the test.

Obviously if I am using a 4423 or 4425 for example, I will use the BNC equivalent of the BNC+ probes connected to channels A & B during the original capture.

This procedure has always been necessary as you will know if you have reloaded a PSdata file or downloaded a waveform from the Waveform Library
I.e. You need to match your probes to replicate the original waveform if you wish to carry out an identical capture

With Probe Mismatch, the same procedure still applies but with a prompt at hand to help you select the correct probe.

Assuming I have a 4x25A scope connected and I load the waveform seen in Image 1A above (which contains BNC+ probes) once again the waveform will be displayed as normal. However, upon pressing the Start/Stop button to run the scope the Probe Mismatch Dialog Box will appear to inform me of the “Probes Expected” and “Probes Found”.

The following image will help clarify the above:
Image 2A
Image 2A
The Probe Mismatch Dialog Box has appeared prior to the scope running to inform me of the current Device/Probe configuration.

The headings within the Probe Mismatch Dialog Box indicate the following:

Channel: Displays the Channel Letter to which the Expected and Found probes refer too

Probe Expected: Displays the type of BNC+ probe used during the original capture or, “No Probe” if either a conventional BNC probe was used or no probe was connected (vacant)

Probe Found: Displays the type of BNC+ probe currently connected to the scope or, “No Probe” if the channel is vacant (no probe connected) or a conventional BNC probe is connected

Probe State: Indicates whether the Expected BNC+ probe matches the Found BNC+ probe

Let’s start with Channel A.

The Probe Expected was a PicoBNC+ Secondary ignition pick up
The Probe Found already connected to the scope was PicoBNC+ Secondary ignition pick up
The Probe State is therefore correct and indicated with a “Tick”

Channel B however is a different story

The Probe Expected was a PicoBNC+ COP and Signal Probe
The Probe Found already connected to the scope was PicoBNC+ 60 A Current clamp
The Probe State is therefore incorrect and indicated with a “Cross”

Channel C is also a different story for another reason

The Probe Expected is indicated as “No Probe”
The Probe Found is also indicated as “No Probe” given no BNC + probe is currently connected to the scope
The Probe State is therefore correct and indicated with a “Tick”

Because a conventional BNC Secondary ignition pick up was used on Channel C for the original capture, no information can be stored about this style of probe and so cannot be displayed to the user within the Probe Mismatch Dialog box. Please do not confuse Probe Mismatch with the Probe settings within Channel Options as these remain intact (Channel D Options loads the conventional BNC Secondary ignition pick used during the original capture)

A scope channel that has no probe connected, or, a conventional BNC probe connected will display a Probe State of “No Probe

Remember that Probe Mismatch can only detect the use of loaded BNC+ Probes and currently connected BNC + Probes

Finally, Channel D

The Probe Expected is indicated as “No Probe
The Probe Found already connected to the scope was a PicoBNC+ COP and Signal Probe
The Probe State is therefore incorrect and indicated with a “Cross”

Given the original capture utiilsed a conventional BNC COP Probe on channel D, Probe Mismatch cannot recognize non-BNC+ probes and so displays No Probe for Probe Expected

The Probe Mismatch Dialog Box will update live and so in the above scenario the Probe Found on Channel D (PicoBNC+ COP and Signal Probe) can be removed and connected to Channel B to match the Probe Expected. (Replacing the incorrectly connected PicoBNC+ 60 A Current clamp)

As soon as the “PicoBNC+ COP and Signal Probe” is connected to the correct channel (Channel B) the Probe Mismatch Dialog Box will clear and the scope will run automatically as the BNC+ Probe configuration is correct

To Conclude:

The Probe Mismatch Dialog box will appear when using a 4x25A Scope, loading a PSdata file which has been saved using BNC+ Probes, and the BNC+ Probes Found are connected to the incorrect channels (See Channel B & D examples above marked with a “Cross” within the Probe Mismatch Dialog box)

Probe Mismatch can only detect the use of loaded BNC+ Probes and currently connected BNC + Probes

Probe Mismatch cannot detect conventional BNC Probes and so will display such probes as “No Probe

The Probe Mismatch Dialog Box will not appear when using a 4x25A if a file is loaded which has been saved using BNC + Probes and the BNC+ Probes Found (already connected to the scope) match the Expected Probes. In this scenario there is no need to display Probe Mismatch as you are good to go

When all is said and done, the user has the final say and can choose to "Run with Found Probes", (meaning run the scope with the currently connected probes) or click on “Cancel” to close the Probe Mismatch Dialog Box

I hope this helps, take care……Steve

Steve Smith
Pico Staff Member
Pico Staff Member

Post by Steve Smith »

Thank you once again to the software teams for the following version of PicoScope 7 Automotive which can be downloaded here https://oem.picoauto.com/p7beta/download

PicoScope 7 version 7.0.53.6389.

Math Channel Library

• Click on the More button in the left-hand tool panel to reveal all the available options for PicoScope 7
• Click on the Math Channel button to reveal the Math Channel Library & associated math channel tools. (These now include Add, Edit & Delete)
Note: Clicking on the “Star” symbol to the left of the math channel symbol will place the math channel button in the left-hand tool panel where it will remain ready for use without having to select “More”
• The math cannel Library now contains 6 “Built- in” math channels relative to channels A&B
• Click on the relevant “Built- in” math channel to display your chosen data (Below we have chosen Channel A minus Channel B ((A-B))
• The math channel will appear in the graph view and will be indicated above the left-hand tool panel where you can deselect, edit, hide or delete if required.
Image 1
Image 1
Feedback on the design and function of the Math Channel features would be most welcome

Math Channel Addition, Edit and Delete

• Click on the Math Channel button to reveal the Math Channel Library & associated math channel tools. (These now include Add, Edit & Delete)
• To create a new math channel, click on the Add symbol (+) to open the Math Channel Wizard
• With the math channel wizard open, create the formula required
• Click Next and select a Name, the units, colour & input range required for your math channel
• Once complete, click Finish and the math channel will appear in the graph view.
• The created math channel will be indicated above the left-hand tool panel where you can deselect, edit, hide or delete if required.
Once a math channel is created it will remain in your math channel library for future selection
• To Edit a math channel, click on the Math Channel button to reveal the math channel library
• Select the math channel to be edited in your math channel library
• Click on Edit (Pen Symbol)
• The Math Channel Wizard will re-open where you can edit the formula, name, units, colour & input range of your selected math channel
• To Delete a math channel, click on the Math Channel button to reveal the math channel library
• Select the math channel to be deleted in your math channel library
• Click on the Delete Symbol to delete the selected math channel
Image 2
Image 2
Feedback on the design and function of the Math Channel features would be most welcome

Adding a loaded math channel to your math channel library

• Load a psdata file containing a math channel
• The loaded math channel will be indicated above the left-hand tool panel
• Click on the loaded math channel button to open the math channel library
• Click on the “information” button (“i” symbol) to discover how to edit a loaded math channel
• To Save or Edit a loaded math channel, click the Save button
The loaded math channel will automatically be saved to your math channel library for future selection
• The newly added math channel can now be edited as described in the text above image 2
Image 3
Image 3
Below: Loaded math channel has been saved to the math channel library for future selection
Image 4
Image 4

The following video will help clarify the process above:
MATH CHANNEL LIBRARY.mp4
Video 1 Math Library
(6.47 MiB) Downloaded 570 times
I hope this helps, take care......Steve