NVH Road Test

Ask questions relating specifically to the PicoDiagnostics NVH equipment and software here.
Technician
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Re: NVH Road Test

Post by Technician »

Thanks Steve for your feedback.

Interesting that you mention the pc. I seem to be having no end of problems with pc's at this time. I can now confirm that the USB lead and sockets are not the problem. Today I copied the NVH file from the hp laptop to the Sony laptop I have after downloading the latest version picoscope software on both laptop pc's.

When I opened Pico diagnostics software and loaded the NVH file, this is on the Sony laptop pc, I then depressed the button on the software to start the file running from the beginning. At first the software does not look as though the file is going to run, and if you depress the play button again this is one part where the software pico diagnostics picks up an error and says that the software needs to close. The software goes on to say that the operator can put in their email address and a note about the failure before sending it, however the software by this time has locked up and the message cannot be saved to file nor sent.

At one point when I could not close the pico diagnostics software I somehow managed to open another pico diagnostics software program again, and this second software was operating OK, but the first software opened was still locked up on screen. I ended up shutting down the laptop completely and restarting it. I opened the NVH software file and this time after waiting a few minutes the file runs, but it does take some time before it starts.

I decided based on this experience to try the hp laptop and see if the file runs on there, and the same happens, it does run but patience is required at the start as it takes some time to start running. All pc's locking up are the same on both laptops. The loss of communication could well of been the scope connection somewhere but today the scope has not been plugged into either pc, and I still got the message lost communication and the software freezes on both pc's.

All this recent experience I'm having now with the pc's reminds me of back in the days of University when I was using an engineering design software program on a network of computers in the design studio, which kept locking up and doing exactly what my pc's are doing today. I think the pc's ability to run the software is probably not adequate and updating Windows 7 machines to Windows 10 might not be good enough.

Maybe the software engineers at Pico could provide some advice about what pc's we need to invest in for the latest versions of pico software!

Thanks

Technician
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by Technician »

Steve,

I have the NVH software file at work on my latest industry PC. I can confirm that the software operates OK and does not seem to lock up. New pc's required then.

Thanks again Steve for your invaluable help.

Technician
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by Technician »

Might of spoken out too soon!

Windows 10 running 8 Meg ram came up with this today;

To close the file I must shut down the pc otherwise I can't close the file.
Attachments
Capture of pico message error on Windows 10.PNG