AC Mains Electrical Interference

Ask questions relating specifically to the PicoDiagnostics NVH equipment and software here.
maxgas
OneWave
OneWave

AC Mains Electrical Interference

Post by maxgas »

Just a quick post, using NVH to check wheel bearings on the ramp. The laptop was running off the mains charger cable, I noticed peaks on the readings at 50, 100 and 200 Hz, puzzled me for a minute because the car was not being touched, then realised mains voltage supply in the UK is 50 Hz, put the laptop on battery peaks all disappear. Just something to be aware of.

Technician
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Re: AC Mains Electrical Interference

Post by Technician »

I've experienced the same problem a couple of years back. In my example we found after investigations that the cause was the laptop mains supply was not filtered. I purchased a new main supply cable with a built in filtered and all was okay.

maxgas
OneWave
OneWave

Post by maxgas »

I have a couple of different mains supply units I'll see if any of them make a difference.

Steve Smith
Pico Staff Member
Pico Staff Member

Post by Steve Smith »

Hello and thank you for the posts

Regarding mains noise, could you take a look at the following forum post here post95821.html#p95821

The post explains a number of avenues for noise to enter our measurement and the options we have to tackle them

If you are using a 4x25 model, grounding the set screw at the rear of the scope will help

Please feedback when you can and thank you again for sharing your experience

Take care.....Steve