Detonation Waveform

Ask for and share advice on using the PicoScope kit to fix vehicles here.
jymmiejamz

Detonation Waveform

Post by jymmiejamz »

Does anyone have a waveform of an engine experiencing detonation? Working on a Range Rover Sport 3.0 V6 petrol that sounds like it is detonating under load. Basically sounds like a rattle under certain conditions. This vehicle had the engine replaced due to catastrophic failure. The technician that installed the engine was kind of a butcher and no longer works at our shop. The engine has been replaced a second time which did not resolve the issue. The fuel tank has been drained and filled with 91 octane fuel (highest available in California). We have verified normal operation of the knock sensors in the shop with the engine running and by tapping on the block with a hammer in comparison with another vehicle.

Basically at this point we want to confirm using the PicoScope that the engine is actually detonating and that is isn't some other component, such as the supercharger, making noise. We have not been able to isolate the noise using a chassis ear.

I don't have the waveform on me at the moment, but I can post on Monday to get everyone's thoughts if it is in fact detonation the knock sensors are picking up.

Thank you,

James

Technician
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Re: Detonation Waveform

Post by Technician »

Hi James,

Scope and Chassis ear data would be nice.

victor2k
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by victor2k »

Hello,
I think your knock sensors signals captured by a scope and a reference will be the best option,other option is to check with a scanner the ignition advance for bank 1 and bank 2 when the knocing occur :)
Best regards

jymmiejamz

Post by jymmiejamz »

The live data of the ignition advance is not a valid signal on SDD. We compared to another vehicle and found the no change in ignition advance under any conditions.

I have attached the Picoscope file.
Attachments
Land Rover_Range Rover Sport_2016_20190118-0002.psdata
(19.49 MiB) Downloaded 479 times

victor2k
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by victor2k »

Hello,
From the attached file some non-repetitive detonations can be detected on the channel a
Capture.PNG
but without a reference(ignition,cam or crank signal) is useless.
Please add more details from your engine, make some new captures using the spectrum mode/scope mode and a reference signal.Also try to record with a phone the knocking,maybe will help using NHV module :)
Best regards

Steve J

Post by Steve J »

jymmiejamz

Post by jymmiejamz »

victor2k wrote:
Tue Jan 22, 2019 7:44 am
Hello,
From the attached file some non-repetitive detonations can be detected on the channel a Capture.PNGbut without a reference(ignition,cam or crank signal) is useless.
Please add more details from your engine, make some new captures using the spectrum mode/scope mode and a reference signal.Also try to record with a phone the knocking,maybe will help using NHV module :)
Best regards
Sorry for such a late reply to this.

Basically there was some debate around the shop as to whether or not the noise we were hearing was in fact detonation, hence the need for a waveform of detonation

The root cause of the issue turned out to be that the connectors for the knock sensors were swapped between banks. This would have more easily been identified if we had a reference signal.