Ford Ranger cam code P1174

Ask for and share advice on using the PicoScope kit to fix vehicles here.
Darren Fraser
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Ford Ranger cam code P1174

Post by Darren Fraser »

Morning guys

I have a 2011 Ford Ranger 2.2L Duratorq TDCi engine with a P1174 Cam sensor DTC.

Correlation is the same as a known good from Rotkee (its difficult to see on the Rotkee image but it looks like Im one crank tooth out?)

Apart from that, the only other thing I can see is that my cam signal is only pulling down to 350mv (I would expect 100mv or lower?)
Attachments
Ford 2.2l ckp cam inj volts inj current.png
2.2l ford cam crank rotkee.png

Darren Fraser
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Re: Ford Ranger cam code P1174

Post by Darren Fraser »

Unfortunately I can't upload the PSD file because its too large? It was done in 2ms per division to capture a WOT.

I will redo it witch a smaller time frame and post it up.

vasek
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by vasek »

Hello.
The code P1174 is not related to the crankshaft sensor - camshaft sensor pair.
The code is related to the need to reset the ECU adaptations.
Try resetting adaptations with the scanner.
Attachments
FORD 2015 2.2L CDI PUMA C.PNG

Dcunning35
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by Dcunning35 »

Hello Darren as vasek says you need to reset the pcm learned Values if you don't have Ids software forscan will do this.

Danny

Darren Fraser
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by Darren Fraser »

Thanks Guys

Opened up the launch and there were plenty reset options but nothing specific to the cam and crank so I chose the PCM full reset and that seemed to have eliminated the cam codes.

Thank you.

Steve Smith
Pico Staff Member
Pico Staff Member

Post by Steve Smith »

Wow, product knowledge shinning through and thank you for sharing.

I would have taken DTC P1174 at face value and began a diagnostic journey to nowhere

Take care....Steve

Dcunning35
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by Dcunning35 »

Your welcome Darren , Steve adaptive values are making diagnostics more and more difficult ,fault code designation and calibration doesn't help either as techs these are the daily struggles we face just to make a crust.
One thing this forum does well is being together like-minded Techs to share experience.

Steve Smith
Pico Staff Member
Pico Staff Member

Post by Steve Smith »

Thank you again for the feedback

"Steve adaptive values are making diagnostics more and more difficult ,fault code designation and calibration doesn't help either as techs these are the daily struggles we face just to make a crust."

The is very interesting indeed and perhaps should be considered during the diagnostic process

The list below is the process I try to adhere to during diagnosis & case studies alike

Vehicle ID
Customer interview
Verification of complaint
Scan tool ,DTC and Parameter data
Check for technical bulletins (software updates)
Refer to repair manual, NCF and EWD for system description
List possible causes
Create action plan based on accessibility and probability
Apply PicoScope initially in the most non-intrusive fashion
Apply PicoScope intrusively if required based on repair process
Confirm the repair with Scan tool, verify with PicoScope

Reading how resetting adaptions has resolved this Ford Ranger, where should that option (reset adaptions) appear in the list above?

I assume that the diagnostic flowchart or procedure (if accessible) for P1174 should include the step "Reset Adaptions" but I/We know only too well what "assumptions" do!

I have opted to add "reset adaptions" as below and will include this "Step" going forward

Vehicle ID
Customer interview
Scan tool ,DTC and data
List possible causes (Include adaption reset)
Create action plan based on accessibility and probability
Apply PicoScope initially in the most non-intrusive fashion
Apply PicoScope intrusively if required based on repair process
Confirm the repair with Scan tool, verify with PicoScope

In the scenario of the Ford Ranger, the resetting of adaptions was an instant win with the clear removal of the DTC and MIL which is awesome.

However, resetting of adaptions can also temporarily "Mask" an underlying fault condition bound for return to the shop and this is where our customer rapport comes into full effect.

The time spent, the technicians knowledge, training, experience, equipment and technical data used must all be paid for and the resetting of adaptions is certainly no exception.

Looking at where I have chosen to rest adaptions below requires at least 1 hours labor

Vehicle ID
Customer interview
Scan tool ,DTC and data
List possible causes (Include adaption reset)

Thank you again for highlighting the "adaptions" issue, hopefully this forum post will prevent others falling into such a trap or at least get us thinking about "adaptions" during the diagnostic process regardless of where you apply the technique

Take care.....Steve

Darren Fraser
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by Darren Fraser »

Thanks for your input guys.

Steve, your diagnosis procedure flow chart has challenged me greatly. This is something Ive been trying to implement for some time now but have not been able to design a form that is able to"fit" into our existing work ethics.

I get so frustrated in my current position as I can clearly see the advantages of first world automotive repair practices, but Zambia, Africa is very much still in the dark ages in this regard. There is a huge technology gap that needs to be bridged before we can reach first world standards and I'm really struggling to bridge that gap. I am a missionary volunteer at MFA, and my role as Technical Consultant is an advisory role, so Im not in control of the workshop, however the stakeholders are expecting financial results from my input.

There is certainly no room for inexperienced technicians in todays automotive industry given the information that is currently available. The challenge we are having in Africa at the moment is that main stream learning institutions have lowered their standards to a point where the "qualifications" received from these institutions are really not worth much when compared to what is really going on in the market place and technicians that are coming out of these institutions have had to fumble their way through the challenges that they are faced with once they get out into the real world.

Most garages and workshops in Africa are severely under equipped when it comes to vehicle diagnostics and it led to bad habits becoming good practice based on nothing more than the hear say recommendations of the most "experienced" "technician" in the work place.

Since the acquisition of our Pico 4425 and pressure testing kit last year I have been spending a lot of time with our techs on the Pico recording before and after scenarios to prove and record the fix. Ive faced a lot of resistance in this regard because it has been VERY time consuming due to the lack of electrical theory and practice but we are getting there.

Ive also noticed that many workshops in the UK and USA encourage their technicians and even assist their technicians in developing their skills to keep up to date. This is unheard of in my neck of the woods and this grieves me greatly as the void just seems to grow bigger and bigger.

Having said that I do believe that there is a huge learning curve a workshop needs to go through once they realise that they are behind in technology and desire to up their game, a period of learning where much of time spent on vehicles will be unbillable. This is where we are at the moment and although I haven't been able to reflect an improvement in our monthly figures, there has certainly been a marked improvement in how our technicians are approaching jobs.

Im really fighting an uphill battle at the moment with the local trends and mentality and I am really grateful for all the input I have gleaned from Pico and the members here.

I will certainly try harder to apply the system you have laid out Steve. At this stage, Ive managed to convince our workshop techs to fill in a job card, which has been a major milestone!!!

BTW there is a lot more going on with this Ranger than just the CMP codes. :D :D

Im going to post up a "Steve" flow chart on this job, and run the risk of total embarrassment, but that's OK because Im a firm believer in exposing our weaknesses because a weakness is nothing more than something waiting to become a strength.

Thank you all once again for your fellowship and patience.

Steve Smith
Pico Staff Member
Pico Staff Member

Post by Steve Smith »

Thank you for the feedback Darren and the insight into your world (one I had not considered)

It sounds like a challenging journey for sure as you are attempting more than "Training"; you are going to change cultures which no doubt will take years and inevitably be met with opposition from those threatened by your vision

I sincerely hope those technicians who are training want to be the best they can be and we are duty bound to ensure their training delivers on point and challenges them beyond the norm.

We can most certainly help with Training material Darren if this eases the burden? Please feedback either via the forum or support@picotech.com (ref this post/Steve Smith)

Take care......Steve