combo Z13DT non start issue.

Ask for and share advice on using the PicoScope kit to fix vehicles here.
ross_c

combo Z13DT non start issue.

Post by ross_c »

Hi guys first post here,
Called to this combo a few weeks ago, owner changed leaking water hose on EGR cooler and refused to start after, battery had gone flat and had a few broken leak off pipes from kneeling on them.

Got booster out and clamped off the return from leak-offs, still no start.
Plugged in laptop (Texa) had loads of faults but he said he had left ignition on while pulling off plugs.
So i cleared faults and tried again watching live data, ckp, fuel pressure all ok.
Still no start but no fault codes reappeared either, took a look around EGR valve and seen a gap where pipe clamped to manifold was clamped on sideways, sprayed a bit of easy-start at the pipe while he cranked, nope, no start.

At this point booster was dying and starting to rain heavy so he said he would tow it to my workshop (only around a mile away)

He let it sit a few weeks before he towed it, when i got it i removed manifold and EGR valve and blanked it off. Had to blank off both ends as the pipe was damaged with clamp being on sideways, still no good.
Plugged in again, only thing i could see was that air flow was reading 49C, and that i couldnt read cmp on live data. There was obviously a known problem with airflow meter as i spied a s/h one in footwell, that cured the air temp.

Time to get the scope out, read the cmp sensor signal that i couldnt read on live data, looks good, remembered it wouldnt fire on easy-start so what about timing? Read cmp+ckp, still looks good???? Read ckp+injector 1 signal, still looks good!

At this stage a bit baffled. SO...

EGR blanked off,
no immobiliser faults,
fuel sender ok,
getting over 350Bar on the rail sensor,
Cmp + Ckp good waveform (at the sensors, dont have ecu pinout, if you can help would be appreciated),
Injectors pulsing,
Has compression, a squirt of easy-start ignites prematurely bogging the starter down.

What exactly am i missing here??

Sorry for such a long post but a bit puzzled on this one.
Attachments
Z13DT CKP-INJ1.psdata
(16.66 KiB) Downloaded 313 times
Z13DT CKP-CMP.psdata
(114.03 KiB) Downloaded 305 times

Technician
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Re: combo Z13DT non start issue.

Post by Technician »

When I worked at Vauxhall some 16 years ago we got a none runner in, an Astra G diesel. I did a code scan and no faults found, the recovery firm advised the customer that the fuel pump had failed? I questioned that and the workshop foreman agreed with me that the pump would be OK. He told me to change the injector leak off pipes? I questioned that as previously to that generation of vehicles diesel engined vehicles would run without leak off pipes fitted, however, technology and ideas move on, the Astra G would not run if an air leak was present on the diesel injectors return system.

I'm not saying that is the cause of your none start, but back in my day Vauxhall would not start if the return system was leaking.

ross_c

Post by ross_c »

Hi, thanks for your reply, i did also suspect this, as i had a y20dth vectra quite a while back that gave this trouble with leak-off pipes, but, still had doubts as once it was got running it would still run while leaking, but would allow air in for fuel to run back to tank when stopped, and the combo has a pump in the tank, and fpr stays opened for air to be purged. The fact that i have over 350bar at the rail also puzzles me how air could get in through return. I have no T-fittings available right now for a few days but wanted to rule out as much as i could until i got them.

Do you have access to the ecu pinout so i can rule out a squeezed wire?
I mostly work at HGV's and dont see any need for buying a light vehicle database, wouldnt have took it on only its a friend of a friend.

The joys of taking on someone elses work eh?

Technician
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by Technician »

You'll need to be specific for what you require. I have all the data but there is a lot.

liviu2004
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by liviu2004 »

Diagrams for combo (opel) are online in various places for at least 15 years.
Why not make everything back original? Read about clamp, broken hoses, flat battery, if owner not willing to pay, junk it.

Steverider

Post by Steverider »

Is this the same as Corsa where the ECM is always under water as it is situated below the windscreen? If it is then new/refurb ecu required. Just a thought.