Tablet based laptop

Ask any questions about using PicoScope 6 Automotive software here.
jr7305

Tablet based laptop

Post by jr7305 »

Any suggestions on a tablet based laptop to use with the pico scope? My thinking is to mount the scope on the tablet. Is there a minimum spec required? Rather not dump a ton on a tablet just figured it would be convenient. TIA

faraday
OneWave
OneWave

Re: Tablet based laptop

Post by faraday »

I use Panasaonic fz-g1 all work ok except markers (i can't reach them), I use picoscope 6 automotive.

jr7305

Post by jr7305 »

6 definitely not tablet friendly. Can’t pull them cursors in tablet mode.

picowight
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by picowight »

I have 6 on a "convertible" laptop/tablet HP elite book. Works Ok except any attempt to zoom with touch just crashes it.

jibby365

Post by jibby365 »

Any update? I actually bought a surface RT and found it won’t run pico automotive software. Is there a tablet out there that will work or should I just give up and buy a tablet based scope?

Steve Smith
Pico Staff Member
Pico Staff Member

Post by Steve Smith »

Hello and thank you for the posts

The real win of a PC based Scope from a diagnostic perspective has to be the flexibility the operating system (e.g. Windows) presents to the user.

Whether that be extending the graph view to a larger screen, easy sharing of data (RWL) "screen grabbing" into other software suites (e.g. Power Point etc.) or indeed the ability to simultaneously run your scope with other Apps such as a scan tool or data logger (in a single view) as we have described here topic22669.html (the possibilities are endless)

Switching to an integrated tablet based scope will inhibit a number of the options described above and as technology marches on, who knows what benefits we can capitalize upon from the likes of Microsoft and Apple etc.

As for Specs for a Tablet Based laptop, we must consider Windows 10 a minimum (Win 11 is around the corner)

As many USB ports as you can handle ( USB 3.0 being a minimum for at least one, perhaps two for other peripherals)

64 bit is a minimum requirement for use with PS7A stable https://www.picoauto.com/downloads

Memory or graphics are not hyper essential but the more RAM the better

Storage is another factor unless you will be saving to cloud based storage
Multiple psdata files with high sample counts do add up over time

Here are the laptop specs I have been using for 2.5 years and it still remains seamless in operation with PicoScope whilst running other applications simultaneously
Image 1
Image 1
I hope this helps, take care.....Steve

MachOne

Post by MachOne »

I use a Surface Pro 7. Works great. The parts of the app that didnt work with touch in version 6, all work perfectly in version 7. Touch, Multi touch, and pen input are all fixed and work fine in version 7.