How to Invert Waveform?

Ask any questions about using PicoScope 6 Automotive software here.
FixItRight

How to Invert Waveform?

Post by FixItRight »

I am still getting the hang of the Picoscope 6 software and would like to know how I can invert the waveform for each channel, as when checking secondary ignition and other things the waveforms are sometimes upside down and harder to interpret.

I have not been able to find this basic piece of information anywhere online so I would really appreciate the help, thanks in advance!!!!

Steve Smith
Pico Staff Member
Pico Staff Member

Re: How to Invert Waveform?

Post by Steve Smith »

Hello and thank you for the post.

To invert your waveform in PS6 you can use the math channel function

Click on Tools>Math Channels and Invert A or B from the Built in math channel menu
Image 1
Image 1
To create your own "invert" math channel you can click on Create and type the formula -A to invert channel A or use any other letter to represent the channel you wish to invert

Could you also try PicoScope 7 Automotive here https://oem.picoauto.com/p7beta/download

To invert a waveform in PS7, click on the desired channel option button and select Invert
Image  2
Image 2
I hope this helps, take care.....Steve

michal.andrascik

Post by michal.andrascik »

Hello.
I followed your guide to invert waveform by creating the math channel. My problem is that while doing it, it also inverts range. E.g. I measure secondary COP voltage with coil/plug adapter and HT probe. I set range from -5000 V to 20 000 V to have detailed picture. Because the wave is inverted, the spike is pointing downwards instead of upwards and thus overreaching the -5000V range. When I use math channel to invert the signal, the spike is cut at 5000 V, because the range is now from 5000 V to -20 000 V. What would be your solution?

ben.martins
Pico Staff Member
Pico Staff Member

Post by ben.martins »

Hello Michal,

If you're using PS7 then you can select the ignition probe to change the waveform depending on whether the ignition system is positive or negative fired.

To change click Channel Options > Probes > Secondary ignition
Secondary ignition PS7.png
If using PS6 select the channel options then in the probe drop down menu select with inverted or pos to change the waveform.
Secondary ignition probe.jpg
Secondary ignition probe.jpg (59.93 KiB) Viewed 9880 times
I hope this helps.

Kind regards

Ben

michal.andrascik

Post by michal.andrascik »

Great! Thanks. Having BNC+ probes I never went to probe setting option.

ben.martins
Pico Staff Member
Pico Staff Member

Post by ben.martins »

Hello Michal,

Glad that helps.

If you have the BNC+ probes then the option to select either positive or negative firing should be in the vertical, range selection, on the channel options.

I'll see if I have one to hand and send you screenshot.

Kind regards

Ben