Any Better ideas for protecting my 4423 scopes USB port?

Ask any questions relating to the PicoScope hardware or kit contents here.
If you have any questions prior to purchasing the kit post them here.
hexibot43
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Any Better ideas for protecting my 4423 scopes USB port?

Post by hexibot43 »

I've talked about this before, but I'm hoping there might be a better answer now. My 4423 has taken a trip to the UK from here in the USA to have I believe the USB B port replaced. I can't remember if the motherboard was damaged as well. I am very thankful Pico took care of my scope.
Since then I am probably overly careful. Surely! And in fact choosing to use another scope a lot the time to ensure I don't damage it again. This last week I almost did it again! It has a tendency to fall right on the USB B cable end and applying too much force on the USB port . The cable end is no longer tight in the port. It wiggles back and forth now. Still working, but.....perhaps not for long. Thinking 1 more fall will do it again.
Since I started using picolog my scope is being used 24/7.
What can I do to protect my scope??? I've been looking at printing something with my 3d printer to protect it. Not as easy as it seems. Will not fit in the nice case I have to store the scope with the addition.
Any ideas??? Is there a cable extension with little to no profile? I haven't been able to fit one yet.

Brainstorming over the 3 day weekend. We came up with unsoldering the USB port from the motherboard. Install a USB cable with USB b female port on one end, and the four wires soldered directly to the motherboard. Now I would just have a nice safe cable coming out! Would this void my warranty, or if I did other damage would Pico even want to repair it? Ahhh!
I have been looking at the newer Automotive scope, 4425A, and it looks like it has the USB port exactly like my 4423.

Thanks,

Marcello

hexibot43
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Re: Any Better ideas for protecting my 4423 scopes USB port?

Post by hexibot43 »

Will have to take another picture tomorrow at work. Currently stuck using an Apple Iphone. For some reason not saving in a file type that will work with this forum. I would normally just delete until I get the picture but once I started this post I don't seem to be able to delete it.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1_YR5nj ... sp=sharing Pico4423_Circuit_Board

Not sure how that link is going to work. It is connected to my google drive, and a folder containing pictures of the USB connector, as it attaches to the circuit board.

I was hoping someone knew the pin arrangement as they are connected to the circuit board. 5v ref., D+, D-, ground.

I'm thinking of just leaving the port as it is but piggy back to the connections on the Circuit Board, and adding another port that is not so dangerous to my scope.