Latest RC

Ask any questions about using PicoScope 6 Automotive software here.
Robski
Advanced User
Advanced User

Re: Latest RC

Post by Robski »

1. Ok.

And i will download/install the stable release & see how i go.

2. I'll look at the file when next at my laptop.

3. I am aware the CAN decode was on a heavy diesel protocol, i saw it whilst looking on the Tiepie automotive site & thought if it was possible for them then it's do-able by Pico.

4. Understood with the commercial reasons side of things, so can you PM me a few things that are in the 'pipeline' ?

Robski
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by Robski »

So............ I have just downloaded & installed the stable version released on the 18.02.14 ( 6.8.8 ) , & the channel labels are still black apart from CHC, that just gives me a whole lot of confidence that nothing else will be wrong with it........ NOT !

I am losing all faith & confidence in these software updates I'm afraid, it's getting pathetic :x

Fat Freddy
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by Fat Freddy »

Myself & a few other users are a little confused at what Tom mentioned regarding the phase markers & RPM so if it's the case of them not detecting an RPM change then i shall not be using them.
I think what Tom is saying is the rulers will only give an average speed/RPM over the cycle, not the real speed at any one time.

As for the software issues, right behind you. Drives me nuts. Lost faith in updates a long time ago, generally avoid it because it causes to many problems. I also don't understand why Tiepie has continually evolved over time and Pico has not kept up.
Hopefully Pico will start picking up the ball soon. Because the latest specs are not to be sniffed at.

FF

Martyn
Pico Staff Member
Pico Staff Member

Post by Martyn »

If you wish to keep up to date with new developments then installing the Beta software version alongside a stable release will give the opportunity of using new features whilst still having a tried and trusted version for your day to day work.

We have reached one of those crossroads that occur from time to time where it is necessary to turn the beta stream into a stable release, and as such we do not have a new beta to run alongside. Please be aware that installing this 6.8.8 version will overwrite any existing stable release. We do have some new features in development at the Alpha stage, but these are not quite ready to release to the public in a test version. That should be coming in the near future.

The particular issue of channel labels being black has been addressed by the developers, however this fix occurred after the 6.8.8 version was passed to the test team for regression testing and release. In this case it was not possible to recall the release, add in the fix, and then repeat the tests as there were other issues addressed by the build for both the T&M and Automotive versions that were needed in the field and testing was too far advanced.

If you are in urgent need to have the channel labels fix then please contact me at support@picotech.com and I would be able to provide you with an interim build including the fix, this would be the equivalent of a Release Candidate, a stable release that hasn't passed through the complete regression test suite.
Martyn
Technical Support Manager

Robski
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by Robski »

FF

Thank you for that, there are more than just us two that are razzed off with the software, shame a few more don't speak out too.

Martyn

Yes I want to keep up with new developments, who doesn't ? but I am not running two versions side by side, what if i capture with the beta & it crashes on saving ?? that will be another waveform lost in the Abyss.

The channel labels being black is not my main gripe, it's the quality of the software per se, I cringe every time i hit the save icon. When things like that get into my head all confidence drains & when it does so does my patience, if there are faults I can see like the channel label colours, which lets face it can't be rocket science surely to write into a program or fix (?), whats going on what i can't see behind the scenes ?? it just doesn't install confidence in me I'm afraid.
Now if i was to roll back to a more stable version like 6.7.40 then all my recent captures won't be able to be opened as they were taken with a newer version & that's no use to me.

I paid good money for a Pico & did my homework as i always do before a purchase & i went for the best of the best (at the time) & that is all i expect from it, if i bought a Bentley & it drove like a Cortina i'd sure have something to say !
I never thought I would ever be looking at another scope after the purchase but the Tiepie looks like a fair contender at the moment.

Autonerdz
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by Autonerdz »

As you know, we have a huge PicoScope automotive users group with members globally. Most of them are what you would call power users and many of them have obsessive compulsive disorder :roll:

They pick the software apart to the nth degree. The Pico development team have learned to rely on us to find the stuff that no one else does. I just find it odd that we have not seen the file saving issues you bring up mentioned for a while now. There were some builds a while back that had trouble with mega files but nothing we are aware of with the builds you refer to.

We have seen the channel label colors issue....My PC is in color and Brian's PC here is not. Same brand PC same OS. Weird...and maybe not as simple an issue as it may appear. That would be in the OCD category. :wink:

We are almost never completely satisfied with the software because we are really picky. It will never be perfect. Come to think of it, no software that I have ever used is perfect. Maybe I am just too used to Windows OS and have become more glitch tolerant. :?

The 6.8.8.16 doesn't have a thumbs up yet, on our forums, but it's looking pretty good so far. We have found a couple of odd things that you probably will never encounter. No show stoppers though. The Pico team does a fantastic job of being responsive. Sometimes they need a little help from users when they encounter a unique issue to be able to run it down.

I suggest you don't throw in the towel just yet. Help them help you. Just posting here how it is all a hopeless situation doesn't help any of us. :(

Alan
Pico Staff Member
Pico Staff Member

Post by Alan »

Robski & FF,

You have made some good points about the different types of software release / upgrades being confusing and we have been discussing this internally and can see how improvements can be made. In the past you had to go to the web site to download, but now the software auto updates. Its a good improvement, but we are aware that at times you can end up downloading a release that has no benefit to you (eg if we add a new language or feature that you do not want to use). I think there are improvements we can make here.

As for the channel labels not being colour coded, it is a minor issue to fix but perhaps not quite a simple as you might think (we have to allow for custom colour choices, support for Win7/8 large fonts, different languages etc). Once a software release is in final test we do not make changes for minor cosmetic issues such as this, the risk of a change to the code creating a more significant issue is too high. A minor cosmetic issue like this will be (and has already) gone into the next release.

Rulers - both phase and the standard time ones. These work in the same way but one measures time and the other degrees. With the phase rules you can use them to mark 0 degrees and 720 degrees on a waveform and then measure for example the number of degrees before / after TDC different events such as valve opening occurs. As with the time rulers they stay where you have placed them on the screen so if you change the RPM of the engine then they will no longer line up. Typically you make such measurements after capturing a waveform.

Finally I don't like to have unhappy customers. I have been working at Pico for over 20 years and can count the number of unhappy customers I have had to deal with on one hand. I am sorry that you are both unhappy and rest assured we will try even harder to improve. If either of you would like a refund then let me know by the end of the week. We will need to arrange for the return of your scope and details of where / when you purchased.

Regards
Alan

Autonerdz
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by Autonerdz »

With the phase rules you can use them to mark 0 degrees and 720 degrees
Alan,

I like being able to change the new phase rulers degree markers value. Makes it super easy to say, plot the PIP high window on a Ford IEDIS system. Here is a V8 example. First phase ruler is set to -50° and the second at 310° framing 360 crank degrees.

Then you can draw out the vertical rulers and type in -10 and 35 to frame where the PIP high window is and see if the CMP transition is in the right place. PIP is PCM internal on IEDIS so you can't scope it.

Sure, you could do this before but the phase rulers make it a snap. :shock:
Attachments
IDSIS V8 PIP high plot with CMP.
IDSIS V8 PIP high plot with CMP.

Fat Freddy
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by Fat Freddy »

Finally I don't like to have unhappy customers. I have been working at Pico for over 20 years and can count the number of unhappy customers I have had to deal with on one hand. I am sorry that you are both unhappy and rest assured we will try even harder to improve. If either of you would like a refund then let me know by the end of the week. We will need to arrange for the return of your scope and details of where / when you purchased.
Speaking for myself, I don't consider myself an unhappy customer. But certainly it can be frustrating at times with the software for the reasons Robski has stated.
The software has always been buggy and yes it's true all software has bugs but Pico has consistently been the worst on my computer. And it's not just myself and Robski. Perhaps so called stable versions are getting released too early.

It is also frustrating to see other companies whose software was on a similar par several years ago have now added many features, like RPM and duty cycle graphing etc, etc while Pico has stayed relatively still.

I know myself and Robski have always strongly recommended to others in the trade to buy Pico, there are many benefits, bugs an' all. I guess when someone champions your product it's probably going to also bring along some constructive criticism.

Ironically my browser was not showing "PicoScope 6 Software" until the second time I logged on today so I did not see your offer. Thanks but no Thanks. I like Pico a lot. I still believe it is the best hardware out there and with a bit of work the software could match others on the block.
Even if I was to buy another scope I would still keep the Pico. So please don't sit on your laurels as the competition is out there, and I don't want to spend my money on someone else's product.

Cheers
FF

volrem
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by volrem »

Bit off topic since new vesions are out but with latest beta channel labels are still not colour coded sometimes. Is this known issue?