mitsubishi gdi misfire

If you are not a PicoScope user and want advice with a diagnostic problem then post here. Forum members may be able to help.
barnmankit

mitsubishi gdi misfire

Post by barnmankit »

My Mitsubishi Pinin 2.0 gdi has misfire and serious power loss above 2250rpm, the rev limiter cuts in at 4000rpm. Flooring the throttle above 2000rpm causes the engine to die. There is a loud clacking noise from the low pressure fuel pump in the tank which is directly related to engine speed (although the pump is electric). When warm this noise reduces. The Mitsubishi garage in France (where I keep the vehicle) ran loads of tests and said the low pressure pump was fine and the high pressure pump appeared to be ok as well, though the fuel pressure on the high pressure side was showing as only 0.4 bar on the diagnostic. They suggested that a faulty fuel pressure sensor was the problem.
What could be the cause of the noise from the in-tank pump? A serious misfire and engine cut-out (rev-limiter) above 4000rpm has existed for some time, whereas the fuel pump noise is recent.
Anyone out there got any ideas before I replace the fuel pressure sensor?
Thanks, and what a useful and interesting site!
Kit

Robski
Advanced User
Advanced User

Re: mitsubishi gdi misfire

Post by Robski »

what equipment do you have & what is your skill level ?

barnmankit

Re: mitsubishi gdi misfire

Post by barnmankit »

Hi Robski
I'd say i'm a competent amateur mechanic, experience on cars and bikes, don't know a lot about electronics. Have already replaced throttle body and micro-filters in hp pump. Car runs fine at lower revs, fuel consumption ok (38 mpg on a run at less than 55 mph).
Kit