Polo 1.2 AZQ 2002 Engine management light

If you are not a PicoScope user and want advice with a diagnostic problem then post here. Forum members may be able to help.
AdamJ

Polo 1.2 AZQ 2002 Engine management light

Post by AdamJ »

Hi,engine man light came on with this car, but when I removed the airfilter/engine cover the light went out.
Re fitted cover and light stayed off for a couple of miles, checked air filter OK,but the air inlet flap in the engine cover was not working, could not but the thermostat which operates the inlet flap so fitted a Volvo one.
Cleared the fault code ( 17524 ) run car for 6 miles and light did not come on BUT on restarting car after 2 hours the light came on straight away.
17524 fault code again,so replaced lambda sensor,cleared fault ,started car no light BUT when car was restarted light came on straight away.
Any idea's ?
thanks Adam

Robski
Advanced User
Advanced User

Re: Polo 1.2 AZQ 2002 Engine management light

Post by Robski »

Are you asking for scope set up advice or a silver bullet ?

Alan
Pico Staff Member
Pico Staff Member

Post by Alan »

Adam - the code suggests the heater circuit for the pre cat lambda sensor has gone open circuit. The easy DIY part is to check the fuse for this circuit. If its not that then you need to check the wiring and resistance of the heater element wires. If the sensor has gone open circuit then it needs to be replaced. If not carefully check the wiring. I am guessing however that as you dont know what the fault code is you are not in the trade, changing the sensor/checking the wiring is a bit of a pain so unless you are confident doing this its probably better to get a reputable garage to do this otherwise you may end up spending more than needed if you buy a new sensor and its not needed.

Robski - Adam has posted this in the "Help me fix my car" section. The description for this section of the forum is "If you are not a PicoScope user and want advice with a diagnostic problem then post here. Forum members may be able to help." Its up to other users if they want to help or not, sometimes the best advice will be take the car to someone who does have the right equipment / knowledge.

AdamJ

Post by AdamJ »

Hi Alan,thanks for the reply, sorry for being a numb nutts but if there was a broken wire would it run for so long without the light coming on ? once we had cleared the code.
Thanks Adam

mteste03
OneWave
OneWave

Post by mteste03 »

Hi,

As Alan has already said you need to check the wiring very carefully.

Seen this many times with this engine code, and yes on some the light stayed out for a while after being re-set by others.

If you do fit another sensor I would only fit Genuine if I were you.

Matt