BMW R1100RT

If you are not a PicoScope user and want advice with a diagnostic problem then post here. Forum members may be able to help.
Caerleon

BMW R1100RT

Post by Caerleon »

Sorry but not a car - its a motorbike!

The R1100 is a fuel injected 2 cylinder motorcycle and i have had a iregular misfire thru all speed ranges. All checks on misture/compression/sensors and fuel injectors replaced - but despite this it still remains. This bike while in its day was state of the art, it has a very simple ECU and a few fault codes which none relate to the problem im seeing.

I have a friend at work who has loaned me an ADC-212 with an old laptop to run it on - sadly i cannot upgrade this to XP to run v6 of the software - so given this limitation what are the first and best steps to take to try and diagnose my misfire.

Robski
Advanced User
Advanced User

Re: BMW R1100RT

Post by Robski »

so given this limitation what are the first and best steps to take to try and diagnose my misfire.
Buy an Automotive 4000 series scope/accessories & laptop (if you know how to use one) or take the bike to someone who has the equipment/knowledge to diagnose it.

Fat Freddy
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by Fat Freddy »

What sort of ignition has this got?

Apart from what Kev :wink: :D says.

Primary drive (amps/volts) is where I would normally start to look.
Also work out, if you can, weather it's cylinder specific.

I think most folks are going to need some sort of info on this "very simple ECU" set up.

HTH
FF

Robski
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by Robski »

Apart from what Kev says.
Am i missing a post :?:

Fat Freddy
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by Fat Freddy »

No.

Your reply reminded me of a moderator from another forum. Made me chuckle.

FF

Robski
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by Robski »

Fat Freddy wrote:No.

Your reply reminded me of a moderator from another forum. Made me chuckle.

FF
Ahh i know which & whom you refer to now.
All checks on misture/compression/sensors and fuel injectors replaced - but despite this it still remains
What sort of reply is expected after throwing parts on :?:

Fat Freddy
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by Fat Freddy »

I'm hearing you. It gives me the hump too.

Being optomistic :? I like to think that perhaps next time the approach for repair would be diagnosis first, knowing that it can be done by a properly equipped and educated workshop, even if they (the vehicle owner) dosn't understand the wiggly lines.

I think the real problem is too many workshops chuck parts at cars and that is the accepted norm - "we'll try this first because thats what it always is". (Blue car syndrome). So armed with Google, a pirate scan tool and a Haynes manuel Joe Bloggs can do an equally good job (which they are) before coming cap in hand to your door.

Caerleon - You are going to have to put up an image as well as the data file of the primary drive. I don't think there will be too many who will be able too open the file.

Caerleon

Post by Caerleon »

Robski wrote:
so given this limitation what are the first and best steps to take to try and diagnose my misfire.
Buy an Automotive 4000 series scope/accessories & laptop (if you know how to use one) or take the bike to someone who has the equipment/knowledge to diagnose it.
Rob - Is the answer always to invest £1000's in the latest kit when the OP only wants to utilise what they've got already?

Freddy - Thanks for the reply.

It uses the Bosch Motronic 2.2 system Oil/Air temp/Throttle Position Sensor/ TDC hall effect inputs see here http://bmwsporttouring.com/ubbthreads/u ... ber=808189

I have changed the majority of the parts, no vacumm leaks and it runs, although not that great at that! The mechanical side i.e. hall gate/ valve clearences have been done. I would like to do a leak down test as the hot and cold compression showed well into the 120-150psi mark for each cylinder.

My aim was to use the PICO to test the measured output at the plugs which is a healthy 8-12 Kv on both sides, the coil while tested before i installed it and the leads all checked out was my first port of call!

Timing is controlled by the moronic unit (ECU) - the tacho needle jitters which due to the irregular miss can explain it, but i cannot find ayn other reason for the misfire. The only thing i can think of using the PICO on now is measuring the Top and Bottom hall sensor inputs to the ECU. After that i think im baffled of what other tests can be performed, can you suggest any other testing that i can carry out?

Thanks for your reply in advance,
Simon