old adc 212

Ask any questions relating to the PicoScope hardware or kit contents here.
If you have any questions prior to purchasing the kit post them here.
husamec

old adc 212

Post by husamec »

Hi I have an old adc 212 parallel port oscilloscope,can it be adapted to work with usb? or do I have to upgrade to a 4000 series? :?: Regards David.

Liteace
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Re: old adc 212

Post by Liteace »

Maybe something like this would work :D

DONT SHOOT YOURSELF IN THE FOOT

Autonerdz
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by Autonerdz »

David,

In order to use the 212 via USB you must use the Pico USB adapter. Unfortunately they have not been available for some years now. And...even if you found a used one somewhere, there are no 64 bit drivers for it.

My advice would be to thank your 212 for many years of dependable service and turn it out to pasture. Time to upgrade to a four channel 4423 with over a thousand times the power.
Tom Roberts
(The Picotologist)
Autonerdz

Lee
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by Lee »

Hi David

Just to enhance Toms answer a bit......

Have to agree partly with Tom on this one, time to say a big thank you to the ADC 212 scope as unless you get your hands on a Pico Parallel to USB converter it wont work.

For todays technology really the ADC212 could send you on a wild goose chase, especially for CAN bus and signals of this nature, the 212 cant provide enough power and support for the application of these signals so you dont get the true picture.

Its not all doom and gloom though as it is still possible to still use the ADC212 but these are your limited options should you want to persue this:-

There is an issue with obtaining the specific adaptor as Tom pointed out above, unfortunately not any normal adaptor will work this. You would need a Pico Technology Parallel to USB adaptor but unfortunately you can no longer purchase these through Pico Technology as they can no longer manufacture these adaptors because an essential integrated circuit is no longer available. Nor do they have any left for sale.

You could try and purchase one through a third party i.e. a second hand one if you could source one but I must stress it has to be a Pico Technology Adaptor as the configuration is different from any normal USB to Parallel Adaptor.

Alternatively :idea:

If you’re Laptop, Notebook has a PCMCIA slot then you can use a PCMCIA adaptor to Parallel port. I can’t guarantee that this will work but I have tested this device with varied models and it has worked for me, but as it has not been tested with every model on the market for obvious reasons I can’t say it will defiantly work.

Does your laptop have an Express card slot?

http://www.delock.com/produkte/gruppen/ ... 66220.html

This worked for me on a Windows 7 Professional, 32-bit machine.

or a PCMCIA card slot?

http://www.delock.com/produkte/gruppen/ ... 61612.html

You have to have the card plugged in when the laptop starts.

If you have a PC computer oppose to a Laptop you can also use a PCI Card to Parallel Converter.

http://www.delock.com/produkte/suche/De ... 89015.html

(The cards above are just for illustration, and although they work, they are just some of many available.)

Please also note that these solutions will only work with 32 Bit Windows Operating Systems.

The ADC212 cannot support parallel to USB converters or options mentioned above in 64 Bit Windows Operating systems.

Alternatively you could try and get your hands on a 32-Bit laptop with one of the options above, but test the ADC212 works on that platform before commiting to any purchase.

Finally if the 2 options above don’t work for you, again like Tom said you may want to consider upgrading your scope to a USB scope, you really will see the benefits instantly!

Talk to your local distributor for a price and i'd recommend placing the ADC212 on Ebay, Used picoscopes are well saught after products and can usually fetch a good price, so this would offset against the cost of a new scope hopefully making the upgrade not so expensive.

I hope this helps to answer your question

Kind Regards

Lee :)