Inductive peak to peak volts

Ask for and share advice on using the PicoScope kit to fix vehicles here.
Liteace
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Inductive peak to peak volts

Post by Liteace »

Ive got here an old old Ford Mustang 2.3 pinto that has been played with by everyone, Its running like a BIG bag of **** due to a major ignition misfire, its got a boot full of new and used parts, Ive found in there a new, after market distributor, Ive not changed it yet as alternator and carb has to come off to get to it & today I just could not be bothered as Im supper tired. I tested the new distributor with an electric drill and Im getting 63 peak to peak volts is that normal
dizy.png
DONT SHOOT YOURSELF IN THE FOOT

Wally
OneWave
OneWave

Re: Inductive peak to peak volts

Post by Wally »

I would have said no.
But, as the peaks will rise with speed, how many rpm would the distributor have been doing with the electric drill compared to when it is fitted to the engine?

Wally

Liteace
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by Liteace »

Wally wrote:I would have said no.
But, as the peaks will rise with speed, how many rpm would the distributor have been doing with the electric drill compared to when it is fitted to the engine?

Wally
The drill was one of those with a speed reg wheel in the trigger and it was wound down to the lowest speed, I would think it was spinning a lot faster in the drill that what it would be doing at cranking speed if fitted to the engine
DONT SHOOT YOURSELF IN THE FOOT

Fat Freddy
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by Fat Freddy »

Found this capture today from an Audi showing 63V peak to peak @ 5300RPM

HTH
FF