Diagnostic Equipment costs

If you are not a PicoScope user and want advice with a diagnostic problem then post here. Forum members may be able to help.
Avdr
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Diagnostic Equipment costs

Post by Avdr »

This is more of a case of 'help me fix other people's car'

I've just got an email reminder through from my local texa agent outlining the prices for this years subscriptions.
I was hoping to get a little discussion about how much you guys pay on your equipment. eg. IDS, or GM Tech 2/3, toyota techstream, bosch KTS - you get the idea any software to which you have to pay a yearly license...

Further to my annoyance at the £30 rise before VAT compared to last year, I also find that If I miss a year they will still charge me extra to bring me upto date the following year. I am going to speak to Texa themselves to outline this charge tomorrow, as Its not something I was made aware of when purchasing.
With the texa software if your subscription runs out, your gear still works - it just doesn't update. This seemed good as I don't need to have it bang upto date, typically I never work on cars less than 3 years old. Therefore I could skip a year of updates every two years.

To resub this year to texa car is £710 pus VAT, thats for 1 year worth of updates, and includes £215 for their info service, which is basically to be able to pick up the phone and speak to someone when your £5400 piece of kit isn't working correctly.

Please respond, if you feel you would like to, with how much you guys pay, and for what tool and level of service.
Andy

Liteace
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Re: Diagnostic Equipment costs

Post by Liteace »

You say you dont work less than 3 years old, Ive found before that when you upgrade your diag tool your not necessarily getting updates for new vehicles, they also add a lot of coverage for older vehicle control modules. Mian problem is you will never find a diag tool that covers ALL.
Ive got Multidi@g, Autocom, VCDS, Op-com, PSA diagbox, Ford VCM-IDS, and still need more, some of them are right upto date and some of them are not due to the cost, its just getting a little crazy on what we have to spend to fix vehicles and what we get back in return

You could consider getting the diag tools from china & only paying 3 pence for updates then 100-500 quid to replace contol modules on the vehicle when their dodgy software really mucks things up :D
Last edited by Liteace on Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:09 pm, edited 3 times in total.
DONT SHOOT YOURSELF IN THE FOOT

GRUSS
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by GRUSS »

I also have a Texa (navigator) running ID4 version 46. Not currently on contract. Who do you deal with for your texa?

Also have a proper tech 2 which is bang upto date and a opcom.

Avdr
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by Avdr »

I've got a little autel maxidiag scan tool - which is actually very good I think, thats often my 'first use' tool and more often than not I don't need any further tools to do a job.

Then the texa is my day to day tool, useful for more involved diagnostics and service lights, activations etc.
Then VCDS full, again fantastic bit of kit, OPcom (if only all diag interfaces looked like opcom, I love its layout) various other bits, volvo fcr etc.

My texa story is a bit odd, I bought the stuff from TTC in cumbria, who folded. At that point texa UK told me my new rep would be fleetparts in warrington. Thinking of talking to some other reps this year though. I had to phone hickleys once and was impressed with their customer service, I wanted to know if a piece of kit would do a specific job. They looked into it for me with no chance of a sale if it wouldn't do the job. Fair enough, it didn't and they were honest enough to say it, ever since I have wished to buy something from them.

GRUSS
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by GRUSS »

I deal with http://www.blythequipment.co.uk/texa_cars.htm a family run company down south, excellent customer service. I've rung them a few times when I've had problems and there very helpful. He's called Jonah, mention me if you get in touch. :D

Russ

Darren Cotton
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by Darren Cotton »

I have never used texa, and I dont think it would cope with the jobs I do... But to make you feel better this is my subs for the year

Autologic have 3 modules around £800 each a year although they do discount the 2nd and 3rd
IDS £600 a year
Bosch KTS £900 a year
Autodiagnos £400 a year
DEC I think is around £400 but did not update last year...
MDI Not sure haven't updated yet
DS708 £300 a year

This does not included any subs to forums or technical data like AD and so on...

Darren

Avdr
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by Avdr »

Thanks for chipping in guys. Darren you have an extensive list there, ofcourse bills are no problem as your equipment is earning its keep.
I've not been establised all that long myself. I'm not over-run with diagnostic work, particularly at the moment, which makes the expenditure hurt all the more.

andy

bullstar12

Post by bullstar12 »

Hi I have a Autoboss V30 and find its a great tool with 3 years updates, If I was going to invest in another tool I would personally go for a Hella Gutmann mega macs , It is a great tool and if you go for the 66 model it has loads of information ie wiring diagrams, fuse box info etc etc.
Think everyone has different views on scanners and what sort of cars you are working on.
If you were specializing in one model the Autologic is ideal,
Regards Colin.

GRUSS
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by GRUSS »

How do you guys rate the snap on verus for the uk and European market?

Andrus
OneWave
OneWave

Post by Andrus »

Hi Everybody !

I have one question:
If I want to test cars, trucks, agriculture, construction machinery, who could supply diagnostic test system ? :roll:
And what You actually using....
We talk/write mostly about cars in here... :)
I checked through all suppliers here and looks like TEXA is able cover most of it. Anybody else??

Thank You!

Andrus