Hyundai Santa Fe' Timing waveform

Ask for and share advice on using the PicoScope kit to fix vehicles here.
Avdr
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Hyundai Santa Fe' Timing waveform

Post by Avdr »

Hi guys, got a problematic hyundai santa fe' in at the moment. Its come from another garage that removed the head to drill out a stud. Once it had been rebuilt it has always had a problem with excessive smoke. The previous garage have been trying to sort it for 2 months, in which time the head was removed again to check for problems, and when non found the head was refitted. EGR valve has also been changed by them.

Engine is 2.2 crdi, D4EB, Euro 4 with DPF, bosch EDC 16 C 39 management.
I've covered alot of stuff already, verified correct reading of MAFM, verified timing correct (cambelt engine), injector leak back comparison. Operation of VGT - not actually seen vanes but the linkage is free, and boost pressure responds to manual adjustment of vacuum.
EGR side of things is fine, good offset between EGR and MAFM, no leaks neither on EGR nor on turbo pipework.

Fuel quantity of 9-11ml at idle with MAFM readin of approx 450ml/stroke. Thought that seemed a little excessive myself?

On a drive its very smokey under accel, with no smoke what so ever on the over-run (confident its excess diesel rather than oil leak into exhaust, smoke is jet black and very sooty).
Aside from the smoke it runs ok up until the DPF gets unhappy. At the moment I'm getting P0473 - Exhaust pressure circuit high input, and P2002 DPF below efficency. My guess is the former is the detection stratergy of the latter. I have tested the differential pressure sensor and it responds fine to syringe pressure, with a tee to pressure gauage - figure on livedata corresponds to pressure provided.
Starting to look at injector timing now, and hence the need for a good waveform - hopefully one showing injector timing too.

Thanks

Avdr
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Re: Hyundai Santa Fe' Timing waveform

Post by Avdr »

Should add that once the DPF codes are logged it goes into limp mode - no management light at first though, that comes after an ignition cycle.
Previous garage also tried cambelt timing one tooth out in either direction with no joy.
Rail pressure also fine.

antthecat
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by antthecat »

Your air mass reading, is that with egr not operating. If that is the reading is too low, I would expect around 550mg/str with no egr.

Avdr
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by Avdr »

EGR does operate at idle, will have to confirm tomorrow but I think EGR throughput would've been 40cubic metres/hour or there about.
Would expect there to be some 'dead space' in cylinder, engine is single camshaft 8 valves so not going to be fantastic interms of cylinder filling.

Avdr
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by Avdr »

Here is the waveform I've got, in picture form. This shows starter current against ckp and cmp
picture.png
and another showing injection timing at idle
picture2.png
EGR was 43cubic metres/hour typical at idle

antthecat
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by antthecat »

Can you measure the air mass at idle(mg/str) with no egr(either by blanking off or by scantool). I think your air mass reading is too low, was the inlet ports cleaned with the head off?

Avdr
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by Avdr »

MAFM is digital square wave so doesn't provide much info. Besides if the reading was to be low that would mean less fuel not more.

I will try it though, leave it with me.
Don't know if the head was cleaned, would expect not as inlet manifold is not spotless...
Andy

antthecat
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by antthecat »

Sorry buddy, I meant what's the reading of the air mass at idle on a scantool. Worth scopeing also.

Avdr
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by Avdr »

Ah I'm with you. Ran out of time today but will check the EGR out further once I get back onto the job.

Thanks
Andy

GRUSS
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by GRUSS »

When the egr was replaced, was the cooler cleaned out? These can block up solid. Are the dpf temp sensors reading ok. As far as I'm aware the egr should be off @ idle but would have to confirm with some of the Kia techs at our dealership.