motorbike ignition fault

Ask for and share advice on using the PicoScope kit to fix vehicles here.
Chris_W
OneWave
OneWave

Re: motorbike ignition fault

Post by Chris_W »

I would have thought that if it had been a cam issue, either timing of the cams or the "wrong" cams it would be the same on all cylinders and not just 2 or 3?

Or maybe that's just me not being clever... :oops:

Fat Freddy
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by Fat Freddy »

Not sure I understand the underlined part ?
I think I possibly misunderstood your question and was remarking on the entire ignition event. But possibly where the clamp is in relation to fault will yield different results.
For example the rotor notch on the coil lead but not the plug lead. Although wasted spark is different again.

Nice animations though Rob.
Wish I had read your posts earlier. But here's a few images from a wasted spark system that I had yesterday that had very high resistance in the secondary coil.
At idle it appears very hashy. Underload it becomes very chaotic - each event different from the next. I couldn't say weather the partially fowled plugs were contributing to this.

Personally I find ignition hard at the best of times.

FF
Attachments
Under load
Under load
At idle
At idle
Idle
Idle

Robski
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by Robski »

FF
Personally I find ignition hard at the best of times.
Yes it is an interesting subject to get your head around :D

It's obvious there is a difference of a direct short to ground & a resistance to ground & a high resistance situation, if you check my case study on the Peugeot 206 you will see a similar capture with resistance to ground in a spark plug.

Thanks for the comments, always good to have such discussions as it's kind of a refresher & gets the mind active 8)