best picoscope for me

Ask any questions relating to the PicoScope hardware or kit contents here.
If you have any questions prior to purchasing the kit post them here.
marksanderson

best picoscope for me

Post by marksanderson »

Im a heavy good vehicle technician and ive been looking to buy a scope.
I mainly need it for can bus diagnostic work and was wondering which scope would best meet my needs

Alan
Pico Staff Member
Pico Staff Member

Re: best picoscope for me

Post by Alan »

Hi Mark,

We do a kit aimed at HGV use http://www.picoauto.com/diagnostic-kits ... ourchannel

The main differences are that it does not contain ignition related accessories and has an upgraded 2000A current clamp as some starter currents etc can be higher on HGV.

Even though CAN bus is a 2 wire network, I would avoid a 2 channel scope as you usually end up checking CAN high & CAN low against something else when doing diagnosis. Eg if you get an odd CAN signal you want to also check power and ground to the module or check whether a CAN message is sent when say a gearchange occurs.

marksanderson

Re: best picoscope for me

Post by marksanderson »

Thank you for some sound advice Allan.
I was thinking 2 channel just because of cost restrictions . It would be grate if I could talk my snap on or mac tools dealers into financing me so I could buy one,either 4 channel or 2 but they are not keen or more like they aren't aloud to sell other than their own products. I guess I'll just save up and wait , my dealership is owned by Renault Trucks and they say there is no money in the budget hmmm same old story.