A few questions about Accessories with PicoScope 4227

Ask any questions relating to the PicoScope hardware or kit contents here.
If you have any questions prior to purchasing the kit post them here.
tomfield

A few questions about Accessories with PicoScope 4227

Post by tomfield »

A few questions about Accessories with PicoScope 4227.

OK, so I cannot use the automotive diagnostic software with the 4227, but I assume that I can still make some measurements with 10x or 100x voltage probes (My 100x probes are rated at 2Kv working voltage) as well as current probes.

Is it safe to use a Secondary Ignition Pickup (PP178) with a 4227 or would I need a 20:1 Attenuator (PP198)?

Is the Inductive Pickup (TA032) a magnetic pickup? From the write up, it sounds like it can be used to pick up a signal from an oxygen sensor? Or is the Inductive Pickup used only as a sync pickup near or around an ignition wire?

If only used as a sync device, does that mean that the other scope input must connect direct to an oxygen sensor by wire puncture device or some such.

If the inductive pickup is used only as a sync device, can the Secondary Ignition Pickup (PP178) be used instead?

Autonerdz
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Re: A few questions about Accessories with PicoScope 4227

Post by Autonerdz »

Hi Tom,
Is it safe to use a Secondary Ignition Pickup (PP178) with a 4227 or would I need a 20:1 Attenuator (PP198)?
Yes. Just make a probe for it so it scales in KV. Attenuation is 10,000:1 No attenuator needed.
is the Inductive Pickup used only as a sync pickup near or around an ignition wire?
Yes. It's an inductive probe that makes a nice clean sync signal. It is directional so turn it over if you don't see a good sync pulse. This is to sync with events on other channels. For example, to identify cylinder #1 in a coil wire parade on a distributor system.
If the inductive pickup is used only as a sync device, can the Secondary Ignition Pickup (PP178) be used instead?
Yes.
wire puncture device or some such.
Preferably a breakout lead. Second best, backprobing, least desirable but sometimes necessary, piercing probes. All available from Pico.
Tom Roberts
(The Picotologist)
Autonerdz