New PicoScope Test: Ford Focus Smart Alternator

Ask any questions about using PicoScope Automotive software here.

New PicoScope Test: Ford Focus Smart Alternator

Postby AuthorMike » Tue May 31, 2011 1:39 pm

Here's a new test that we're about to include in the PicoScope software: the 'Smart Charging Alternator' system used on the Ford Focus. The test includes connection instructions, example waveforms and technical notes. Please see the attached PDF and PicoScope waveform files.

We would be very interested to read your comments and suggestions for improvement.

Smart Charging Alternator.pdf
Ford Focus Smart Alternator help topic
(518.23 KiB) Downloaded 2839 times

smart_alt_idle.psdata
Ford Focus Smart Alternator waveform for PicoScope
(903.7 KiB) Downloaded 1391 times
Mike Valentine
Technical Author @ Pico Technology UK
AuthorMike
Pico Staff Member
Pico Staff Member

Re: New PicoScope Test: Ford Focus Smart Alternator

Postby edagrade » Wed Jun 01, 2011 12:54 am

Great article.
The jump start warning is well worth mentioning too - however perhaps more detail about that would be helpful eg to answer some questions;
1) I presume the warning applies to jump starting from another vehicle & damage could occur to it?
2) Would it be safe to jump start using just a spare battery that is not connected to another vehicle?

Thanks heaps :)
A Grade Mechanical Services - Service at its Best
edagrade

Postby obd.tech » Thu Dec 05, 2013 12:32 am

Hi all :)
Can someone please check the details in this pdf (also in the readme helpfile in the PicoScope 6 software.
Self confessed newbie idiot to this test, and i think there are errors in the notes on channels B & C ?
Contradictions or i was too tired for my newbie brain to compute clearly :? on a late night problem solve (new alternator not working right :evil: & customer pressure :( .....that's another story)
Help notes that confuse are ......?
Tell me if i got it wrong.......keep up the good work guys.......life's a learning curve :?
obd.tech

Postby Robski » Thu Dec 05, 2013 9:30 pm

obd.tech wrote:Hi all :)
Can someone please check the details in this pdf (also in the readme helpfile in the PicoScope 6 software.
Self confessed newbie idiot to this test, and i think there are errors in the notes on channels B & C ?
Contradictions or i was too tired for my newbie brain to compute clearly :? on a late night problem solve (new alternator not working right :evil: & customer pressure :( .....that's another story)
Help notes that confuse are ......?
Tell me if i got it wrong.......keep up the good work guys.......life's a learning curve :?

What's wrong & more to the point does it matter what's said in either the PDF or help file ?

There are 3X pins scope them all.....what you got ????

OE alternator ?
Robski
Advanced User
Advanced User

Postby AuthorMike » Fri Dec 06, 2013 9:06 am

I would like to know if there are errors in the PS Help file, but I need a clearer indication of where?

If it is confusing but technically correct I can look at re-wording that section...
Mike Valentine
Technical Author @ Pico Technology UK
AuthorMike
Pico Staff Member
Pico Staff Member

Return to PicoScope 6 Automotive software