Can use the 4423 to scope 4 secondary ignition signal?

Ask any questions relating to the PicoScope hardware or kit contents here.
If you have any questions prior to purchasing the kit post them here.
Jabsam
OneWave
OneWave

Can use the 4423 to scope 4 secondary ignition signal?

Post by Jabsam »

Hi there.

There is a car with 4 cylinder engine in my garage. I am doubt that can I use the 4423 to scope four secondary voltage signal at one time . I can confirm that the 4 secondary valtage signal is correct. But I just can see the Channel A's input signal is correct. The Channel B, C, D's input signal have been seen odd. I thought the problem is relate to "synchronise". The 4423 can't know the ignition time between the cylinder 1,2,3,4 when I test like this way. So I need to buy a Mixmaster 12-Channel Automotive Signal Mixer (PP361), if I want to scope 4 secondary signal at one time ? Please, can some one help me, I need you confirm the idea for me.

Another question, in the Channel drop-down menu, there are "Secondary Ignition Pickup (Inverted)" and "Secondary Ignition Pickup (Pos)" two probes. If I use the Secondary Ignition Pickup (PP178), whice one probe I should select in the drop-down menu ? And what is the deference between this two probes.

Thanks. Cheers.

Autonerdz
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Re: Can use the 4423 to scope 4 secondary ignition signal?

Post by Autonerdz »

You don't say what kind of ignition system this four banger has but in any case, you will be able to see all the ignition events with your 4423. I suspect you simply do not have enough capture time on the screen to see all the events. Put enough time to see one or more engine cycles and adjust the sample rate to achieve 1us sample intervals in properties.

If it is a distributor ignition, then only two channels are needed. One will be on the coil wire and the other on a plug wire just for sync. Chose the inverted probe for this system.

If it is a waste spark system (two coils no distributor), then you would place a channel on each plug wire. Two of these will be positively fired and two negative. Choose the inverted probe for the negative ones and the positive probe for the positive cylinders.

Hope this is helpful.

Tom Roberts
(The Picotologist)
http://www.autonerdz.com
THE PicoScope Automotive Authority
In North America

Jabsam
OneWave
OneWave

Re: Can use the 4423 to scope 4 secondary ignition signal?

Post by Jabsam »

Understood ! Thanks, Tom.