Determining cylinder 1

Ask any non-NVH related questions about using PicoDiagnostics software here.
swdepew

Determining cylinder 1

Post by swdepew »

I have read a few posts about people wanting a way to trigger cylinder number 1 (and I have also read that the Pico guys are working on that). This is a total guess but is it possible to unplug the plug wire to number one (ground it), and use the dead cylinder as a reference for number one and then assume that the following cylinders are following firing order. Then plug the wire back in, run the test, and attribute the letters with the previously determined cylinders?

Robski
Advanced User
Advanced User

Re: Determining cylinder 1

Post by Robski »

Thats not very practical is it when there could be a cat fitted ?

Why don't you trigger off an injector or secondary ignition ?

HTH

swdepew

Post by swdepew »

Unplugging a plug wire was only my initial thought. I have tried multiple ways to deactivate a cylinder and each time I get an error on the program. (although I haven't tried removing a spark plug) If there were an easy way to modify the operation of the cylinder like higher resistance in the plug wire or somehow lower the pulse width on a single injector, then I hypothesize that it might work. Right now my guinea pig is a 98 Subaru 4 cylinder so my experiments thus far have been very limited. As far as the Catalytic converter is concerned I am being cautious. Do you have any ideas on how to actually trigger a cylinder using Pico diagnostics? Because that would be a far easier method than what I am suggesting. And just to clarify, this is the Pico diagnostics program I am talking about, not the Picoscope 6 program. :D

Autonerdz
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by Autonerdz »

swdepew,

Deploy a trigger signal on channel B. Open up signal view so you can see where the trigger is, zoom in, and you can usually figure out which cylinder is which.

THE PicoScope Automotive Authority
In North America