Is there a way to display 5 or more COP (PRIMARY) ign W4chan

Ask any questions relating to the PicoScope hardware or kit contents here.
If you have any questions prior to purchasing the kit post them here.
benmixmaster

Is there a way to display 5 or more COP (PRIMARY) ign W4chan

Post by benmixmaster »

Is there a way to display 5 or more COP (PRIMARY) ignition patterns at the same time With a 4 channel picoscope?

Carl Grotti
OneWave
OneWave

Re: Is there a way to display 5 or more COP (PRIMARY) ign W4

Post by Carl Grotti »

Yes there is. Use a low current probe to parade all of the coils on one channel and then use a second channel for your sync. On this second channel you can use primary voltage, IC signal, or even an additional low current probe. This depends on which system you are working on. On some vehicles, primary voltage cannot be viewed directly if they have the output transistor internal to the COP coil. If that is the case, then you would use the IC signal.

None of this is answering your question if you are planning to parade all of the primary voltages even if they are accessible. I'm not aware of any way to do that with a four channel scope.

However, there is very much information to be obtained from the current ramps. The drawback is you don't get to see the spark line characteristics.

benmixmaster

Re: Is there a way to display 5 or more COP (PRIMARY) ign W4

Post by benmixmaster »

Carl Grotti wrote:Yes there is. Use a low current probe to parade all of the coils on one channel and then use a second channel for your sync. On this second channel you can use primary voltage, IC signal, or even an additional low current probe. This depends on which system you are working on. On some vehicles, primary voltage cannot be viewed directly if they have the output transistor internal to the COP coil. If that is the case, then you would use the IC signal.

None of this is answering your question if you are planning to parade all of the primary voltages even if they are accessible. I'm not aware of any way to do that with a four channel scope.

However, there is very much information to be obtained from the current ramps. The drawback is you don't get to see the spark line characteristics.
Thanks this sounds very usefull. I am new to using forums so I dont know if this is correct way to respond to this from: benmixmaster